Put'n up corn

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, May 1, 2006.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    We grow a big garden and put up more corn, canned and in the freezer, than anything else. The part I hate the most is get'n the silk off the corn. I've tried everything I could think of, brushes, high pressure air and water, spinning with a drill; nothing work any better than just using a good brush by hand until last year I tried one more thing. Take your shop vac, with a brush attachment on it and brush the corn with it, works great and instead of silk get'n everywhere it goes in the shop vac. Ain't the perfect answer, but it's by far the best and fastest way I've found. Planted my second planting of corn today, first planting is about 10 inches high, and thought I'd pass this along.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Keep trying to come up with the answer. It's out there somewhere. That silk drives me crazy. I've tried everything I could think of, also. Yep, the silk, the wind blowing everything over and earworms are definatly the bad part of growing corn. Lucky I don't have a problem with cutworms or birds.
    By the way, what kind do you plant? Other than a few experimental years with the Extra Super Sweets, I have stuck with Kandy Korn.
    I just got mine out a week ago.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Funks G-90 is what we've planted for years, play around with a few others just to see what they're like, but G-90 is our standard that we count on, got 12 rows about 100 feet long in right now.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sam, I don't seem to have a problem with corn silk. I husk it out side then bring it in and rinse under cold water. If there is any silk left after blanching and cutting the kernels off it's not much. Remember it's edible an adds a homey touch. lol

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Netmanjack, sounds good to me, but you ain't never put up corn with my mom and my wife, NO SILK is the rule, no the law with them and they both out rank me, so that's the way it is.

On another note, I got a buddy who has a freezer he uses only for corn, he fills it with corn right out of the garden, shuck and all, just puts it in the freezer like its picked. Says he then husks and cleans it as he uses it. Going to try a few this way this year to see. If it works it'd be worth buy'n a used freezer to do this with, got'a try a small batch first to see how it works before committing a whole crop to it though.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Samh, Put me down as on your wife and mom's side. I cannot stand silk on corn. It's like eating hair. LOL

I have a neighbor who put's his corn in the freezer with the husks and all. I did a little research and found that, while easier, it's not a good idea. Blanching locks in the vitamins and such while killing off most of the stuf that makes the corn lose flavor and consistancy. Short version, it starts rotting. I have 4 freezers. One for deer meat and catfish, one for grapes, blackberries and such for making wine later in the year, One for corn and beans and one for general use and overflow from the others. My corn patch is about 16 rows, 35 ft long and produces around 600 to 700 ears. We shuck and blanch all of it. We keep a couple hundred ears whole, but cut the corn off the cob with the rest. It's an all day affair with me getting up and out there picking the corn before daylight. My wife, her sister and their mother help me shuck it all and then we spend the rest of the day blanching, cooling, cutting and bagging. It makes for a nice family get together and usually ends about 10 pm.

It's about the only harvest part of the garden that I'm involved with, other than grapes. My wife harvests all the rest cause she tells me I do it all wrong. LOL (How do you pick tomatoes, beans and cucumbers wrong?)

Gardening around here is a dieing art. At 52, I am the youngest gardener I know. Shame

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a27: With you Tom. I would definitely blanch the corn.
    Sam, why not try blanching husk and all?

I found out last year while on the river, that corn is better grilled with out shucking it, or pealing it to remove the silk and then tyeing it back up. Throw it right on the fire straight from the Field. It cooks in it's own steam ,The flavor is far superior to watered down washed corn, and as a bonus the silk comes off easer after it has been cooked.

Don't get me wrong fellas, I probably haven't eaten a hand full of corn silk, in my whole life, but I have smoked plenty, :0a1: lol

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Never tried smoking corn silk, but I remember rabbit tobacco being a rough way to go, of course when your 9 or 10 and all your buddies are with you down on the creek there wasn't anything to do but light up and lie about how good it was.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Check'n the garden out this afternoon, looks like we'll be put'n up corn on the 4th as usual, doesn't seem to matter when we plant it, it gets ready on the 4th of July.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the tip sam I'll try that. The last fue years I have been blanching my corn out on the driveway useing my turkey fryer filled with water seems to work great plus its not heating up the kitchen. than I put it in a laundry basket and turn the hose on it to cool it back down to seal in the jucies. then take it in the kitchen and cut it off the cobb, bag and freeze. just wondering how everyone blanches and cools there corn down ? If there is a bettre way i'll do it. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Do just about like you, we put up so much that its a lot clloer to do the cook'n out side, I use my fish cooker and the finish it in the house, we put some up on the cob (grand kids like it) and some off the cob in the freezer, wife also cans quite a bit.