Put your plug in dummy

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by kickin_wing, Apr 23, 2007.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was at a local lake in Mo and when i got back to the ramp there was a boat tied on the dock with just the nose out of the water. Aperently this guy didnt put his plug in and went to go park his truck. When he got back his boat was full of water, he started bailing water out with a bucket and almost caught up when a wave swamped it and sunk the boat. :sad2:

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the only difference between me, and that guy, is that you told me about that guy before i could be that guy. thanks for the laugh.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've never had one sink all the way, but I've come close. You get in a hurry and crap happens. I've been hanging off the back, up to my chest trying to put that little sucker in before. While the bilge pump was shooting water out like a water hose. And of course it was a real busy day and there were boats everywhere. You live and learn.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I felt bad for the guy because he had a nice bass boat. One thing is he most likely wont do that again. Ill admit to not puting my plug in one time to but luckily i was in the boat and caught it fast.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The only time I ever forgot my plug was when I had folks "helping" me get the boat ready to launch.

Ever since then, I'll do all the "pre flight" checks myself, thank you very much... Nothing gets overlooked that way.

6. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Those of that have had a boat for a while.........I will not define a while.......I am sure you have had the plug thing happen.

If you are not under water, yet, start the motor and get on plane (may take a while), the water will drain out the drain plug hole. When it has drained enough, put the plug in and start the bulge pump. If there is not a bulge pump, you can still fish with the water that is left.............drain it when on the trailer.

7. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt (once). Now I put the plug in at home before I leave and check it again just before launching.
    Saw a guy a couple of weeks ago who thought he forgot the plug, but what had happened was that a fitting broke in the rear of the boat for the livewell and water poured in and it couldn't be stopped. We pitched in and helped and got it onto the trailer, but there was a ton of water in that boat!

8. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I think that it's a rite of initiation to forget the plug at some point. I haven't talked to too many folks who haven't forgotten it at least once.

I came down to the dock after parking the truck on day. My uncle was holding the dock line to the boat, making small talk with another guy who was walking his dog. I got in on the conversation a little. Glanced over at the boat and asked, "Where'd that water come from?"
    "What wat..... Holy $%&*!"
    I stripped off my jacket and sweatshirt, and was armpit deep in water 10 seconds later. Pulled the boat back out of the water and let it drain out on the ramp. Fortunately, we were the only ones either ramp.

Jon

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i forgot mine once, just got the boat in the water, still on the trailer, and heard the sound of pouring water, then the bildge pump kicked on right away and i had my friend pull back up the ramp and then i noticed that the plug was out... i let it drain and put the plug back in and went on like it didn't happen, but now i make sure to check it everytime, even if i'm in the biggest rush there is on a busy ramp (like i was that day), i still check it.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    That could never happen to me:embarassed: :embarassed: :roll_eyes:

11. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

I sure hope you knocked on wood after you posted this, lol! It happens to EVERYONE at least once.

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I check mine before I leave the house, and again when i'm unstrapping and getting ready to back down, and again before I go into the water. But if it does happen immediately start up your boat and throttle it up the water will drain out and then put your plug in.

13. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Have never forgotten to put one in. But, did have one to come out! Started her up and hauled butt up the lake towards the ramp. Most of the water came out getting to the ramp. The rest came out after i got her on the trailer. Scared me to death, because it was a friends boat that i borrowed. Just knew i was about to buy it!

14. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    BEEN THERE TWICE IN THE LAST 3 YEARS. WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. THE FIRST TIME PULLED MY BOAT BACK OUT AND DRAINED IT. THE SECOND TIME NOTICED IT FILLING AFTER I TOOK OFF SO I TOOK OFF GOING FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES AND MOST OF IT DRAINED OUT. IT'S FUNNY NOW BUT WHEN YOU ARE THERE, NOT FUNNY!
    I HAVE IT ON THE REGULAR CHECKLIST BUT WHEN YOU ARE IN A D--N HURRY TO GET THE LINE OUT YOU TEND TO OVER LOOK SOMETHING.

15. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Wow. What happens to your batteries? Are they ruined or what? How deep water are we talking here anyways? Had a pontoon boat before so never had to worry about it but will be getting a boat in a few weeks and am not use to worrying about such things. Do you guys put yer batteries in plastic battery holders to protect them from water in the bottom of the boat?

:cool2:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It has happened before, and it will happen again.

I did it once, but luckily I can put my plug in from inside the boat. :big_smile:

17. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I got mine plugged from the inside and outside

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went with a friend winter fishing to Lake Cumberland and he forgot his plug until the boat started filling with water. He was yelling from the boat what do I do?, and I was yelling back put the plug in. Finally he did but he got soaked in cold water and had to change clothes back at camp.

From that Ive vowed to never let that happen to me so I tied my plug to the boat so at least Ill never forget it. So far so good Ive always remembered to plug my boat.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    mine goes in from inside but the boat was leaking bad so i would pull it while runnin from time to time well once i forgot and didnt put it in till after i anchored :lol: i fished with wet feet for awhile till i moved again , they were wet anyway from the leak

i have since fixed the leak hope i dont forget the plug again but im sure i will :lol: