put wipers on them

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Bill D Curtis, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I think in the event of rain nascar should competiton yellow let all the teams put treaded tires and install a wiper and go out and race they might not be able to go as fast but at least it would still be a race to the end it may be crazy but they race indy grand prix & even motorcycles in the rain:crazy::crazy::crazy:

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, they should at some of the slower tracks, don't know that the superspeedways would be a good idea, somebody might get killed.
    I think the only time they have ever done it was the exibition race in japan several years back.

3. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Why can't they just give everyone a rain check, AND DO IT AGAIN ANOTHER DAY? NO JOKING.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I thought they tried that before but i wasnt sure where.i believe they were going to try it at the other road courses before but it didnt rain so they didnt have to use them,im not 100% sure on that one mike do you know?

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man James, why don't ya save us all neck and back issues this season, and hit crop, then rotate for your avatar?:wink: My neck is killin me!! LOL.. rollo

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I just thought he lived on a steep hill....lol :smile2:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

As far a I know Sprint cup has only tried it in Japan race but not sure, i think Skinner won...but I'm gettin old..., Nationwide ran it, I believe last year at Montreal, it was a good race.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I watched the rainy Nationwide race last year. It was great watching it in the rain. I think R. Fellows won it in JR's car. Not 100% sure but I think....
    I agree that they need to do something. It was supposed to be the Daytona 500, not the Daytona 380...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2::cool2:...Finish it the next day, put wipers on them, do something!!! Too dangerous for wipers Daytona and Dega but why not at a short track? They crash all the time anyway.....:roll_eyes::smile2:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree rollo. lol.

i dont like the rain idea. but i would have stayed up till 1 am to see an actual finish though.

skinner won a race in suzaka japan. i have no idea if it was the rain one though.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lol sorry but i dont know how,im lucky i got a pic to show up at all,can you tell me how to do it?:confused2:

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I found this article, about maybe running them at the Glen a few years back.

The forecast for Sunday's Sirius at The Glen was calling for an 80 percent chance of rain, and the chance that NASCAR would conduct its first race using Goodyear's rain tires became a possibility.
    "It could be historic," said Rick Heinrich, marketing manager for Goodyear. "That's why we bring 'em. We want to be ready."
    Good idea. A torrential downpour forced the Busch North series race to be called after 41 of 62 laps Saturday, giving Ted Christopher the victory.
    Heinrich said Goodyear shipped 1,200 rain tires to Watkins Glen. He added that NASCAR indicated it would not like to begin the race on the tires, which cost $394 apiece and have a tread depth of 6/32nds.
    "They want to have the option to use them under the right circumstance in order to get the race in," Heinrich said.
    If the tires are used, pit strategy could become critical. Heinrich said that under extremely wet conditions, cars could run the whole race on one set of tires.
    Mike Skinner won an exhibition race in Suzuka, Japan in 1999 on rain tires. Mark Martin, Terry Labonte and Robby Gordon are among a handful of drivers who have tested in the rain at The Glen.
    Qualifying for the Winston Cup race at Watkins Glen was rained out three years ago, and teams practiced in the rain with the treaded tires, but the weather cleared on race day.
    NASCAR said a decision will be made at race time.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Here ya go James.

Attached Files:

13. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    [Nationwide ran it, I believe last year at Montreal, it was a good race.[/quote]

I enjoyed watching that race last year.
    Biff did pretty well

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Trying to run a race in the rain on a steep banked oval racetrack would be insane. As far as I know F-1 and Indy cars only race in the rain on road courses.