Put the rod holders on my Carolina Skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i put 7 of my 8 rod holders on my carolina skiff last thurs along with my gun racks, and 2 3-pod upright rod holders
    I am happy with the setup just need 5-9 more drift masters and 2 of the 4-pod uprights and one 2-pod.

2. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    heres the pics, sorry.

Attached Files:

3. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Hauler,
    What type of backing plate did you use? I've got a 1980 DLX model Skiff and was worried about the gunnels and opted for the rail mount holders. What size is your skiff?
    Bigwhiskers

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    NICE JOB NOW COME ON:big_smile: MR. WISKERS

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lookin good James! Thanks for the update and pics.

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i used 2 1/2" x1 1/2" alum angle, it was a booger to find but my uncle who builds drilling rigs ordered me 3 ft of it. i used 1/4" stainless bolts and nylock nuts, i had to saw the ends off of the bolts but thats ok cuz i grinded them down smooth after.
    i drilled the holes 1 7/8" from angle for the top ones and then 7/8" for the bottoms. be sure to put the brackets on the boat before drilling your holes in the actual gun racks. this way u can find what works and looks good to you. PM me and i can email u a close up. or post it on here tom

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you are trying to catch everyfish in the water. Congrats on the new holders and good luck breaking them in.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice looking holders thank you for sharing these pictures with us

9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i did not use backing plate on my drift masters, i just used the largest washer i could find and put a little bend in it for the outside bolt. i used 1/4" bolts 1 1/2" washers and nylock nuts. I first put them in using the screws in the package and they were STOUT but i hate to depend on them when i can use bolts just as easy