Put some fun back in bait catching...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SubnetZero, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Most trips start the same, get out to the lake and head to some riprap.. Spend an hour catching bluegills and googleye for the nite/day of catfishing..
    While back I was looking at my rods in my rod holder in the garage and noticed my Black Widow crappie pole (cane pole) I got way back when for a guys weekend out for crappie fishing.. Aint used it in years...Little Light bulb lit above my head and had one of those "DUH!" moments heh..
    Last few trips out, I had a blast catching my bait on it... Small hook, small bobber and a piece of worm.. Pitch up next to some riprap and pull in the gills.. They usually hit the second the worm hits the water... Makes catching bait a whole lot of fun and starts the nite of perfect (even if the flatheads don't want to cooperate :embarassed:)
    Its telescopic, so when im done catching bait, stores very nicely in the boat...
    You can pick up a crappie pole super cheap, great for young'ns to play around with too...

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use an ultralight...5' pole...4 lb test. Makes the whole trip fun from the beginning!

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use the extendable poles a lot for crappie fishing in tight spaces might have to take it to the lake for bream fishing soon.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I sort of have fun catching bait too...I found a spot where they bite non-stop...Good times

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Sometimes catching bait can be more fun than catfishing. I fish for anything and just enjoy being out and catching something!

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A lot of the times when catching baitfish I will use a cane pole or an ultralight spinning combo with 4lb test on it.

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I love to use my ultra lite on them gills.

8. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ultra lite is what i use with 4 lb test and have a ball even couth a 1 1\2 lb channel fishing for bait on night crawler

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I agree!
    I mainly fish for cats, but there's nothing wrong with catching a few perch (for bait), bass or anything else that'll bite, while your waiting for that one cat bite?

Most of the time, I'm happy to catch anything!

Ken

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    always take my kids when i got to catch bait...hearing them laugh and squel(sp) when they hook something is something i love

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing for bait (or any fish for that matter) has always been fun for me. For a long time it was always worms under a bobber. One time I managed to pull in a 6# channel on that untralight rig (4# test line). That was a fairly fun fight.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Catching bait can be the highlight of my trips.

I load up all my zebco rod & reels and go to the local reservoir. There are usually tons of little kids running around riding bikes and such, so I'll "recruit" them for help to catch bluegills. I usually end up with 5 or 6 kids catching gills for me, and I just run from kid to kid with worms and my bait bucket, taking fish off and rebaiting. The kids have a blast, and I get to see them have fun while catching my bait. Most definitely a win/win situation.