Put it to rest or rebuild

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Todd Strong, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Have a 96 johnson 115 hp heard some different noises coming from engine. Run a compression test #1 45 #3 65 #2 110 #4 115, pulled head on 1 & 3 cylinders and #1 piston had flaked of edges and has lots of side to side play. #3 not as bad, there's no cylinder scaring and head in good shape. Okay now the problem, been an auto tech for 17 years and i bought the boat from a friend, its a 20' roughneck and has a jet drive.
    My fault for not checking the boat out well, need some input on the johnson motor and jet drive draw backs. And yes the boats is put up till repair or replacement is made.

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    step 1...kick friends a$$
    step 2...kick friends a$$ again
    step 3...ask bubbacat for help!!

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    First thing I would do is ask my friend what he would do to me if he wasn't my friend.:lol:

If the walls aren't scored up the I would tear it down and replace the bad parts and re ring all the pistons and do a good overhaul job. The engine is worth saving. I would do a complete carb rebuild and do a complete cooling system rebuild. If you can do the labor your self Then the engine couldn't be replaced for what you would have in the rebuild.
    Properly taken care of it will give you many years of good service.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

your a wise man. I like steps one and two.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You bought that boat from an aquaintance, could've even been a relative, but he was no friend.

For time, money, and a good warrantee, I'd suggest you look to someone who can get you a reconditioned powerhead.

The carbs will need done, a new VRO pump (Maybe), your jet drive checked out, and someone who can put all this together.

Getting a factory service manuel would be a big step in deciding what route to go.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Todd, can I be your friend? I have some real nice cars you would like... a 95 mirage that has this lil sound... like someone pounding a sledge against your skull when you have a hangover... I am sure it is nothing major.... or a 93 G prix with a new cooling system... it has the oil and antifreeze mixed all together... just a lil steam out the rear... kinda like dano... they should be priceless eh? :lol:

7. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I had a similar problem but was having to hire all the work done. I traded it in on a Yamaha four stroke 100hp with 20 hours on it. The dealer installed the new motor for $5000 out the door. I have been very satisfied with this deal. The reliability of the fishing boat is primarily the motor. I have a good friend that has a 75 Johnson that he uses a lot and has ever since he bought it new. He does maintence on it ever year and has had to replace the ignition modules several times but it just keeps on ticking. I am convinced that more bad things happen to a motor when it is just sitting for long periods.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lets be fair, your friend may have not had any idea anything was wrong with it. Maybe he did, maybe he did not, you just dont know.

As for the motor, repairing will cheaper than a new one, but a chunk of money either way. Since you have some automotive experience you are probably better suited to do it than I ever would be.

One thing about a new motor is that they generally are reliable and carry some sort of warranty until you can run the hell out of it to see if there are any probelms. Used ones are a lot cheaper but there is always the chance something can be hidden in there.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sorry so late still soaking in my tears, just kidding, dicided to rebuild ,but have a question, i have built many inboard motors and car engines just wondering if there is little things i can do to bump the hp up a little, or a lot. Maybe different pistons, mill the heads, and try to get more flow. then maybe i would run into jetting the carbs, don't know just some thoughts, i have a problem with leaving things be and trying to improve ?