Put A Wuppin On The Smallies

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 6, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    was At The Hollaway Resevoir This Morning. My Better Half And I Hit The Water About 6 Am. By 8:30, We Only Had 1 Puny Channel Cat That Was Landed, Which Wasn't By Me I Might Add. I Heard They Were Catching Small Mouths So I Figured I Would Give It A Shot. After Throwing Multiple Lures, I Tied On A Small Floating Grasshopper. Caught 2 Fish Within My First 2 Casts. To Make A Long Story Short, Landed 16 Small Mouths, Lost 3, And Had An Excellent Time. 18 1/2 Inches Long Was My Best One. Not Sure Of The Weight. Has Anyone Else Been Doing Any Small Mouth Fishing? Good Luck Everyone!!!!

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Been hitting a lot with the spotted bass up at the lake here. Been shorelining it so far, but hoping to get the boat out on the water ASAP. Hardly ever catch 'em over a pound. Been using brass inline spinners or small jighead hooks with rubber grubs on them mostly on ultralight gear. Tried fly fishing last night and they were hitting the fly but I ain't got the hang of setting the hook and getting them reeled in on that thing yet so I lost every hit I got. Most of those hits were likely bluegills though. Had one hit decent on my cat rod last night and didn't get that hook set either. Had a great time though.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'll let you in on Michigan's best kept secret. EAGLE BAY! It's located near Grindstone City at the tip of the thumb.
    Grab your waders and go out in the little bay, or if it is too crowded, just go out into the lake. My best bait is a Gold and Black floating Rapala. Tube bait work well also.
    Last week-end, a friend of mine and his son, went up there and caught 87 smallies between the two of them. His son was using a fly rod, and caught 52. I don't know what pattern he was using, cause his father knows nothing about fly fishing, but it kind of sounded like a Wooley Bugger. They caught a lot of small ones, but managed to catch a coulpe of 4 pounders and one 4 1/2.
    If you feel like a little drive, grab your waders and rod an head up to Eagle Bay. If you decide to go, give a PM, I just might join you.
    Sparky

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    i Dont Mind A Little Bit Of A Drive At All! Itll Be Awhile Before I Can Do Something Like That Though. Got Laid Off Back In December And Dont See The Company Doing Any Better. Construction Should Be Easy Work To Find But Ide Have A Better Chance Landing 50pound Cats With Every Cast Than Find Work In Todays Market.been Able To Spend More Time On The Water Though,wouldnt It Be Nice To Get Paid For Fishing?lol!