Push/Pull crankbaits

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Stevej, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    In the March issue of In-Fisherman they have a article on crankbaits for crappie. Todd Huckabee pulling and Capps/Coleman pushing. Thinking about when I'm slowtrolling off the front of maybe putting out one pole with the push rig with maybe just one crank on it to see if it does attract bigger crappie. Anyone using the push rig for cranks?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm confused as to how you push something with fishing line

3. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    The push rig is a heavy weight on the bottom with the crankbait off a dropper line above the weight. The push name maybe a little missleading as it really is pulled along just from the front of your boat like spider rigging. Just a way to keep it close to whatever running depth you want by using a lot of weight.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Steve, there's an article in the March/April Crappie World that suggests using a crankbait and jig or fly combination, using a 3-way swivel. If using a fly, attach it to a 18 -30 in leader, and the crankbait on a leader about two-third's the length of the longer leader. If using a jig, do the reverse. It also suggests that when you get a hit, don't set the hook. Think I'm gonna try that next time out.

5. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Yep Pat, I read that one too along with the March issue of In-Fisherman. I was wondering if anyone here had any on the water knowledge. Sometimes I wonder about some of the things I read about.