The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any good ideas for making a push pole. Something durable and light. I have a telescopic aluminum push pole, 8 ft closed, but it always gets bent if you extend it. And my boat allows much longer without the need to collapse the length. I'm thinking 11 to 12 foot. I use it as a steer pole. I put my jet in forward and bump bottom from the front deck to navigate the extreme shallow rock infested areas that require slow but quick direction changes . Basically leaving the rear steer of the motor fixed

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I might could use a 10 foot anchor pole if I can find that length. But I prefer slightly longer. But not interested in a 2 piece

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would a piece of schedule 40 pvc work? Cut to length and glue a cap on the bottom?
To much flex. It needs to be fairly rigid. 2 inch might be enough but to bulky. Most times when I have bent mine, I was trying to get off a rock, using a lot of force. But that's a needed quality

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,128 Posts
Schedule 80 has significantly thicker wall.
Sch. 80 in 1.5” diameter has thicker wall than 2.0” Sch. 40
Of course being a builder, you already know all this😉

...W

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Schedule 80 has significantly thicker wall.
Sch. 80 in 1.5” diameter has thicker wall than 2.0” Sch. 40

...W
I'll try to find this to look at. The anchor pole in what looked like 5/8 was way to limber.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use a 10' long 2" diameter wooden rod; the same kind they use in closets to hang clothes hangers on. I painted mine so it wouldn't rot or absorb water and get heavy. I use it if I get in nasty weeds or rocks when throwing my castnet. Sometimes I have to use the bathroom badly and I run the boat up on shore, throw an anchor on shore, grab the toilet paper and run into the woods. The push pole allows me to get out of some nasty stuff and back in lake. You can see my wooden pole attached to the top left side of my boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,814 Posts
Greg I have an actual telescoping heavy duty complete with the spring loaded duck bill attachment....I got it from gander mountain At least 12 years ago....I'm telling you right now it was worth every penny I paid for it... It's made for a duck boat.... That thing is saved my tail several times and I'm telling you right now no cheap homemade pole would not have done the trick that ducks beak that goes on there man is priceless.....

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
846 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a smart aleck before but I did. I have very little experience with boating in waters with current.
I had a few pirogues in my youth and the poles I used were always hickory or cypress though I preferred hickory. I couldn't imagine trying to push through mud and weeds using a PVC pole.
The one Big Sam mentioned sounds like just the ticket.:)

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
556 Posts
Years ago I made a crawldad rake with 1 or 1.25 aluminum conduct I think it was 20 foot had treads on each end cut it in to with coupler no flex

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,814 Posts
I wasnt ragging on you Herb. I guarantee you a homemade poles better than no pole...I will say what anybody puts in their boat needs to be strong enough not to break when you have to push really hard if you run a ground...

·
Registered
Benbrook Texas
45 Posts
One inch fiberglass rod, add something similar to a duck bill to the end and something soft on the handle (walker skid or cane tip is probably pretty good).
Internet search will get you several sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts