Push Pole In Your Boat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catfish_Commando, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    For those fishing smaller to medium sized rivers(s), do you have a push pole in your boat?

Did you make it yourself, and if so, what did you use?

Is it sectional, what type of foot do you you use, if any, etc.

Been a few times a pole would have came in handy V.S. using the oar used as a pole.

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I got an extendable aluminium gaft I use in the boat. closes up to 5', and out to 8'. Works good enough in a pinch when needed.

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Maybe a viable option would be to have an extendable landing net where the net can be unscrewed. That way, like Pip's gaff you would have about a 10 foot pole with you. Items that can serve double duty are a premium when it comes to limited space in a boat. :wink:

Ray

4. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    carried one in my boat for years till someone knocked it overboard, it was a piece of drift wood found washed up along the ohio, about a three inch diameter piece of hardwood strait as an arrow, almost looked like a dowel rod, weathered smooth as a babys butt and bleaced out like a blonde on indiana avenue. shure come in handy a few times.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Carbon fiber.
    You won't regret it if you use it much.

Build or buy.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i cut a long slender cedar tree and trim it and then put it in the rafters of the barn for a year and let it dry. i have several extras waiting in the rafters now. they work real good as a stake in shallow water to keep the boat from swinging back and forth. if it breaks or gets left somewhere you have not lost much.

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Hey boss try a 'marsh pole'. Cabela's and BP both carry them. I used one in a layout boat duck hunting and they work great on all types of river soil and rocks. They are aluminum and calapsable!

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have used the marsh pole when duck hunting , the ducks bill head is great when in the muck.It folds in for easy removal out of the silt on lake barkley.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    a teloscoping tent pole is what i have always used

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i alway carry an oar on my boat(required by law) and have used that a few times in skinny water or when stuck:eek:oooh:

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i just jump out and push the boat free.

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

:smile2::smile2: get out and push lmao

tis reminds me of when me and my buddy went on a float trip ,,

im 350 lbs he was even bigger well the canoe didnt float over the shallow gravel bars for us we hit BOTTOM :smile2::smile2: while the skinny people floated by us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i took top rail chain link pipe and made my mud poles they come in 10 foot sections that will fit into the next section so i cut another pipe of it around 5 foot and drilled a hole where they jion and bolted them together .

ya could have 2 pieces what ever total length ya want and take them apart to store in the boat with ease.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul I have used a push pole made out of 2" PVC pipe with caps on it. You can drill some 1/4" holes in the bottom end if you want it to sink faster, otherwise it will float more.

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I normally dont have a fishing buddy who does that? :smile2:

15. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have an old aluminum (spell check) telescopic painter pole, I have a hook on one end to retieve my jugs if they get into weeds. Found it at the dump.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i usually have a 2 1/2 inch by 5 foot section of bamboo,,my uncle has the same but his has a hook on the end for juggin like ^^ he said

17. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    well paul with all this lard in the boat,if i get out the boat normally floats free on its own.haha:smile2:

18. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use one sometimes in my 1430 plywood jonboat on Bean Creek. made it for duck hunting years ago. its just a 10 foot Balsam Fir pole with a duckbill. my son also uses it to canoe on the small creek across the street.

19. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Took the business end off an old limb lopper and it extends to about 12 feet and when contracted it fits very nicely in rod storage. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No I dont have one, but it aint a bad idea. There have been times one would have come in handy.
    Note to self: amend Christmas list to include collapsable push pole. :wink: