Purple Martins

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jesse168, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Now is the time to get your martin houses in order. It won't be long before the SCOUTS start coming NORTH in search of housing for the rest of the flock.
    Let's see pictures of your favorite Martin Houses.

2. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Jesse,
    I have a new Martin House that's got nine rooms on each side built entirely out of Cedar. Trouble is I don't know enough about the height to place it or the direction it should face. Can you enlighten me?
    Right now it's 12 feet in the air with the openings facing east and west (which is probably wrong though it looks good from the back porch) and I'd like to have it occupied if you know what I mean...

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I build some 2 story condos. They have 8 rooms per floor. I put mine aroudn 12 to 15 ft high. And they need to be out in the open.
    Also the birds don't like trees and stuff near them.
    Put up one of them for my fatherinlaw last spring. And the birds were flying in it while we were standing it up.
    I also add three pieces that look like fireplace flues on the top. And add a piece of rod across that is aroudn 30" long. And also add rods across the front of each opening. The Martins love them'
    Need to get the other 5 built in the next few weeks.

I will try to get a few pictures in the next few days. Also the plans are on line. I will have to hunt them back up. but if anyone would like them I will find them/
    Also built them out of 1/4" plywood.

PEte