Purple martins

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by coach, Feb 12, 2007.

1. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    got my first pair of martins of the year today ...... greenville, ms

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Coach that is great news.
    Now we have 4 or 5 weeks and we will have ours showing up.
    Pete

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've had a pole up for 10 years and replace the gourds as needed yearly.
    Its in open space with water close by.
    I've had some scouts come a few times but no nesters that I've seen.

They dont like my setup for some reason:angry:

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Well, I guess it is time to quit being a dead beat and get those houses cleaned out. Have three in the back yard. Am so ready for spring.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I need to take my pole down and clean house. Thanks for the reminder.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Coach, when will them skeeters run em off ? :lol:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know about martins, but since we've been having mild winters the past few years, alot of migratory birds seem to stick around all winter. I think they screwed up this year!

8. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mine showed up on Feb. 2. That is the earlist that they ever showed up. I have 4 martins now that are spending the night.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I could have written this, myself. I have no idea why they won't stay. I've read all I can find about setting it up, and did it according to the books. No martins.
    :sad2:

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Mark, and Kutter, maybe if you offer them free water, electricty and cable TV they might stay.LOL:tounge_out: Just kiddin guys.LOL

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    First ones came March 16 last year. I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess. I got nesting SY Martins the first year (2005, May 8), probably because there were already some established colonys within a 5 mi radius of my place. Had a Cooper's Hawk that caused some problems and took at least one bird last year, but he 'mysteriously disappeared'.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    LOL Jim if they do that. They may even get a few stinking fisherman to hand around for a while.:lol:
    Pete

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have had a few scouts checking things out

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Kutter, I think we need a boom box and a calling tape.
    This same martin pole was at my dad's house for years and years with a pole full of birds every year.
    His location was not as good as mine as there were pine trees right next to the pole.
    So I know its not the pole and gourds.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I totally forgot to mention that I did purchase both the Dawnsong & Daytime Chatter CD’s from:

http://purplemartin.org/shop/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=7ccea37057546ef5e00528f5d11ead3a

IMO the CD’s had a lot to do with getting them the first year I tried. I started using them around middle of March and used a boom box with the speakers directly beneath the stand and pointing at angles in opposite directions. Dawnsong probably has the most effect as far as calling in potential nesting SY’s, but the Chatter CD brought me a lot of visitors and fly overs, probably from the other colonies around me. Dawnsong is used one hour before and after sunrise. I played the Chatter CD the rest of the day (incidently, the Chatter CD is pleasant to listen to in the background). There are some criticisms about the Chatter CD also attracting hawks. I did notice some Redtails and Ospreys flying high over, but they’re no threat, and besides, you don’t have an established colony yet for hawks to feed on and I think the criticism is a moot point at this stage. However, when/if you do finally get a pair to stay, stop playing the CD’s, the birds will be the best attractant for more Martins from then on.

Here are some photos of my stand that I took spring of 05’: