Purple Martins are Heading North

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jesse168, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I got an e-mail from my Brother-in-law in Sweetwater, Texas today.

He said he already has Purple Martin Scouts checking out his Martin Houses.

So I thought I'd let others here know to get those Martin Houses ready for those famous Mosquito Eaters.

For those of you that don't know much about the Purple Martins...some of the older martins leave their winter nesting sites of South America a couple of weeks earlier than the main flocks. They do this to make sure of nesting sites for their flock. It's just like Mom & Pop making sure the kids have a place to stay safe and close to relitives.

If the nesting house they stayed in last year isn't up and ready they will go in search of new nesting site and leave that area. Martins are very family oriented and they love to be near people.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've never studied these birds but have seen their houses here, so they must come here.

I put up a bat house last year and am still patiently waiting for those skeeter eaters to take up residence. I know they are here, I've seen 'em and even had one in the garage for a couple of weeks, freaking out the cats. Couldn't figure out why the cats were acting strange but once I saw the bat, I knew they were leary of the bat.

I'll look for the Purple Martins this year.

Thanks for the post!

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Robins are starting to show up also...Spring is near(I hope).;)