Purple martins are back!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was out in the front yard this afternoon & heard a familiar "chirp". Sure enough; the purple martins are back! I walked over in the yard close to where their house is, & they dove over me as if to say "hello" & then flew up to the perch on the house & just looked at me!! Sure have missed the little guys. Anybody else seeing any yet?

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Roxie, WOW, you sure are lucky, I still have about a month and a half or better before the scouts even show up, IF I'M LUCKY. Have you ever visited the "Purple Martin Landlord" site? Randall Duhon, also from Lousiana started it a couple of years ago.
    I have 3 or the 12 apartment houses, the ones the Martin association sells. Keep posting, sure can't wait till mine show up.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Them are some prety amazin animals.I worked for a lady landscaping and we had to disturb/fix thee condo-the lill guys can get a little unruly when messin round but we had to to do the job and she informed me all about them.

4. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello everyone, my Martins are back also. They showed up Feb. 2. It sure is great to have them back. I have 14 Martins staying so far. Will try and post some pics later. Best of luck to everyone with the upcoming Martin season.:006:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Martins? Getting the garden ready? What's next, Hummingbirds?

I have got to move further south!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I''ll have to agree with Kutter. The scouts usually don't show up here until at least mid March. Houses are clean and ready to go.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep us posted as they start to arrive in your area. Also, anybody that gets any good photos, please post them.
    I'm not a real diligent "landlady", I'm afraid. I'm just lucky they continue to return each year. We have one multiple unit house, & our neighbor has one also, about 30 feet from ours. So we normally have a front yard full of martins. I just love them!

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't seen the Purple Martins yet...but I did notice several bluebirds checking out their nest boxes yesterday and seen my first robins too. I am soooo ready for spring!:smile2:

9. troutline

troutline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like to see a picture of a martin. If you have one please post it.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Soon as I can get a picture, I'll post it!

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Randall, I figured you'd show up here sooner or later.:smile2:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    John, I can't imagine you don't have Robins around in Kentucky all year, we do here in Kansas, even with the unusually cold winter this year. Even see some Mourning Doves every once in awhile.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tom, thanks for posting that site. I'm going to go "look around" on it & see what all I can learn!!

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  16. gryan0607

gryan0607 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    yes we are seeing blue marlins in georgia.does gordes work to keep them around.