Purple Eggs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Katmandeux, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Several months ago, blues in the Deep Fork arm of Eufaula were turning up with purple eggs...at the time, no one seemed to have an answer as to the cause and/or any health issues. Tissue samples were being sent to various agencies for investigation.

That's the last I heard...anyone heard any more on this?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dave, I haven't heard any new info about it. There was at that time, someone from Stillwater on here who was involved in the research. Maybe they will come back on closer to spawn time to check.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I spoke with Garland Wright, the fisheries biologist with oversight over Eufaula, today. The status is unchanged...they don't know any more than they did.

Sediment samples from several spots on Deep Fork are at NSU, pending analysis.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ohh man Im sorry to hear thats happening there.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Perhaps the cats are gonna participate in easter.

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Lawrence,Got to agree with you on this one. They must have caught one of the very rare Easter Cats.I sure hope they CPRed them.I wouldn't know what I would do if the Easter Cat didn't come to visit.
    P.S. Katmandeux keep us posted. I would like to know the reason for the purple eggs also.

7. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Dave, did anyone ever get back on the purple eggs. I have seen eggs in other fish that had a purple tint to them. I'm just not sure why. People I talk to have many different opinions. Some of the reasons I've heard are water quality,water temp, time of the year,missed spawn,certain chemicals in the water etc. Keep us posted if you find out an answer.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Not that I'm aware of.

I plan to attend the meeting in Jenks on Thursday...I'll shake the trees, and see if anything falls out.

I won't let this die.:wink:

9. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I will be there also,I will be wearing my BOC hat.Hope to see you there.
    This should be an informative meeting.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I spoke with several people yesterday, including one from DEQ. The jury is still out...the DEQ guy was emphatic in his opinion that heavy metals are not implicated, ODWC less so.

Here's the good news: they have taken numerous tissue samples, and the fish have a clean bill of health.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I dressed a few blues this morning, and one had purple eggs...they weren't fully formed yet, but definitely purple. I saved the entire carcass, and ODWC picked it up this afternoon.

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I was always told that the eggs have a purplish tint to them early in the year and then turn yellow as they develop. but that was just here say.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    A purple Easter cat:0a28: :0a28:

14. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    Not a purple tint, these r some dark purple eggs.

Katmandeux- Where is the info on who 2 call and what they r wanting?
    thanks- fishgrl

15. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hmm the eggs in that article didnt look very purple to me. they looked golden brown,like a pefectly cooked bratwurst lol

16. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Last year following a catfish tournament at Eufaula, My partner and I cleaned a few of the fish that had perished before the weigh-in, finding that most of the blues in the 2-4 pound range contained purple eggs.

We noticed the odd color and did not keep them, nor did we throw out the filets.

They have long been eaten, but no immediate problems were found. I hope that eating the filets don't have a long-term effect.

I'm not going to let purple eggs keep me from fishing in Eufaula Lake unless a general warning is issued by the appropriate agency.

17. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK

YA!!! Tell 'em about it. I hav heard enough from the fraidycats. lol

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The contact person is Rochelle Miller...918 207 6703.
    The entire carcass should be retained, and she should be contacted asap. Do not freeze the carcass, and if possible, avoid chilling it as well, although obviously, that may be unavoidable. The object is to harvest the internal organs of live, or freshly killed fish.

I collected another blue with the purple eggs yesterday, and handed them off to her, and she added another twist to this thing, something that hadn't occured to me. If these eggs are not viable, and the "condition" becomes widespread in the lake, in a very few years there might not be any catfish in Eufaula.:sad2:

19. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Dave, could you post a pick of some of those eggs?

Thats pretty dang weird.