Purging Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jmfraz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    I know that catfish farms purge catfish for "off-taste" by placing them in flushout ponds to purge them from the chemical compounds of Geosmin and 2-Methylisoborneol (MIB), which give them a bad taste. They are purged until these compounds are removed and they are "on-flavor" again. I was wondering if I were to take catfish caught from the my local rivers and bayous and place them in my pond, if over time they would be flushed of toxins and metals such as mercury and PCBs???? Since they can be purged of other compounds, can they be purged of toxins and heavy metals? Any input or knowledge would be appreciated. BTW, my pond is free of toxins and dangerous amounts of metals. Thanks!!

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The only purging i do with my catfish is "350 degree Peanut Oil".... Purges em right out..... Sorry I couldn't be of any help....

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    How is it determined if a fish "off taste"?

4. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Dameon, good question. I am no expert in this by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been researching this to see if you can purge cats of contaminants and ran across several sites on the internet dedicated to purging them for taste. Basically, they are sampled and tasted. Catfish farmers regularly do this and describe the taste of cats with this alga chemical in them as "muddy", "woody", "murky", "musty", etc... I believe this usually occurs in pond raised cats. My question tho is since they can be purged of this, I wonder if they can clean their system of toxins and metals if you move them from a contaminated river to a fresh pond??

Here are two links (short reads, but good) on purging cats found to be "off-flavor".
    http://www.uaex.edu/aquaculture2/FSA/FSA9051.htm
    http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2001.htm

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't think metals can be purged I think they jsut build up over time. Bigger older fish have more metal in them then smaller ones.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    They try to do that... but it really doesn't help...

You know those Farm Raised fish? They are just fish caught out of some of the larger rivers (potomac around here) and then taken and put into ponds to "get rid of" the toxins and bad taste... doesn't really work too well... I can't believe they would sell them though since the fish from the river are deemed unsafe for high levels of consumption... maybe 10 8oz pieces per person/year is ok... doesn't sound too good to me

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well Bryan you are right in one of the Maryland Fisheries neeting I ask just that and was told that about 50% of the fish go right to markets and the others are stend to fish farms well they will end up at the super markets as farm rised catfish.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all I never heard of such a thing and second of all,while I was living in California several years ago I was grocery shopping.I stopped at the seafood market because I seen 2 really nice catfish for sale. They were just gutted so I had to finish dressing them.Anyway I bought em and dressed em and cooked em. I put the fork in and this yellowish green ooze came out of mine. Needless to say mine ended up in the trash and my husband was afraid to touch his. I said no more catfish from the grocery store I'll just catch mine.
    Talk about YUCK!!!:eek:oooh:

9. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for all your feedback. I wonder if I could somehow test this on a before and after kinda deal. Probably not since it would most likely kill the "test" fish. Anyways... Thanks to all!!! :big_smile:

10. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Fish should have very mild flavor. In hot weather when algae is bad it gives them off taste. The fresh water thing may help. But as far as metals and chemicals thet are slow about purge'n if they do at all. Your best bet is fresh fish from waters you know to be safe. Cooler months with plenty of rain are best to collect fish for the table.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All predatory fish end up gathering mercury and other heavy metals in their bodies. Every fish has some in them, but the predators end up with a lot more simply because there is no method of getting rid of the stuff. It just keeps building up throughout the life of the fish. The only way to keep it from building up would be to feed it prepared foods from infancy, and even then when it is small it will eat bugs and such.

Long story short: Heavy metals don't go away no matter what you do.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats what i thought. i wondered ifn a catfish would taste bad from the river, and i place it in a clean pond, then would i be able to get the catfish "purified" again? hmmmm two great dummies think alike! :lol: :lol:

13. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks, Curtis, that clears it up for me. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, Tony, I guess you are right... LOL!!! :lol:

14. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to work at a hazadous waste incinerator, we worked with some of the most dangerous chemicals known to man, the one we respected most though was mercury and it's compounds as they are very common and impossible to get rid of. For example if we burned 40,000 lbs of waste in a hour only one total pound of that could be mercury. And that was only because we had a special permit. other incinerators where only limited to .5 lbs or less. Mercury is stable and simply does not break down, it doesn't really oxidize or rust in the same ways other metals do. This is one of the reasons your body can't get rid of it, its too heavy to get flushed out of your tissues and too stable for us to break it down via any chemical reactions.

For those that don't know, mercury poisoning leads to what was once called Hatter's Disease ...or Mad Hatter's disease..just like the guy in Alice in Wonderland. Mercury was once (maybe still is?) used to make felt hats. once you have enough mercury in your system some people don't think right anymore and more or less go insane ...like a Mad Hatter.

one drop of mercury boiled into a gas is enough toxin however to clear a room of people in miniutes. We where told in class that right before you die you would smell fresh cut hay, lol, how they know this I have no idea. Most mercury compounds are also almost always lethal, particularly any acid mercury compounds. As a liquid metal mercury is easily absorbed through the skin, mouth, and nasal membranes.

High lvls of mercury in a persons bloodstream have also been linked to narcolepsy, strokes, various cancers and liver diseases. In the very old it is said to be linked to alzthiemers, and in fetus's there is some evidence linking it to Down's syndrome and other birth defects.

As someone said earlier, there is no cure for mercury poisoning, but as long as you fish and eat safe and know what chemicals you are handeling and the proper way to do so you will probably not build up enough toxicity in your body to affect you or your life.

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have two concert tanks , that when I catch, catfish or any fish I usually keep them for a day or two, before dressing them, A few years back i caught some, cats out of a slough, water about a foot deep and muddy and hot put them in clean water and the water turned muddy, changed them one more time and about 4 days later I let a neighbor have them and said no muddy tast, he eats a lot of fish. Don't know if its necessary,, but I think it helps if they come from muddy water.
    Jim

16. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks a ton Ike. That is a lot of in depth information. I really appreciate it. All that mercury info is pretty scary tho. That will certainly make me find out about the waters I fish from now, whether they are keepers or CPR fish. Thanks again.

Jim, I think you are right, I mean, what does it hurt? Can only help as far as I can see.

17. Keeyaawww I never hear of dat... but I do know when da catfish is muddy tastin, just marinate it in some mustard,milk and egg mixture for awhile and den da muddy taste is all gone....

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    If your waterways are as bad as some of ours around here then you have asked a question that i also asked of our local DNR. I was actually told that depending on the age of the fish taken from the rivers, that if I were putting them in a "private" pond that in time most metals and things that are stored in the fat would actually recover from such poisonings. how true this is i do not know since I only like to take cats that are atleast in the 10 to 15lb range to put in a honey hole that me and a few others like to donate too.

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    While you could possibly remove the toxins from the fish it would cost more than your house. Heavy metals/toxins are stored in the fat and do not go away.

Each of us have trace amounts of these toxins in our systems already, but not in large enough amounts to cause health concerns. The type of illness you would get from these fish is cronic. It might take years or even decades, but it eventually catches up if you live long enough.

Genetics play a big role in health problems. In my field if you have a family history or prostate cancer and apply certain chemicals you stand a 14% better chance of developing prostate cancer versus the general pop with the same genetic background.

The same can be said for your exposure by consuming fish. The toxins may trigger a responce that could compromise you health later on

20. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol i second that:big_smile: