Purchased this at Academy sports...can u tell me what its for??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Nov 5, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I purchased this at academy sports it was only $1.99 it looked interesting...I don't think its used as a slip bobber cuz the top swivel stops it...and is the hook to attach to the safety pin like end?
    What is this rig used for ? and how do you use it? and can I use it for Catfishing?
    what is this thing called? thanks so much!!

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that is a floating carolina rig and yes you can use it for cats just snap a hook on the free end [with the float ] and it'll float your bait off the bottom

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Looks like it's steel or something though, so I wouldn't suggest using it for catfish.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    that's exactly what it is. Great for fishing for cats holding a couple feet off bottom.

5. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Yep..its made of steel wire...are ya all saying this is to keep the bait off the bottom of the ground? so the bait floats? does this rig have an offfical name??
    thanks

6. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Tina, looks like a popping cork too me. Floats the bait near the surface and you can snap your pole toward you and it makes a splash. I have used them in the bays around Padre Island. They come with different style floats, same principal though.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its not a popping cork. Popping corks are coned shaped and have cupped faces. It is a bait fishing rig. The wieght helps get casting distance and may help hold the cork in place if windy. You can use it for catfishing, especially channels, but its pretty heavy material for catfishing unless you catch big ones. Its definitely a saltwater rig. May be good for gar fishing if they are shallow, use at least a 3/0 treble hook and a hunk of cut bait or live bream. But, you'll probably have to cut the rig off if you hook a gar.