Punch Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lklutts, Jan 12, 2008.

1. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Has anybody used the punchbait in freshwater rivers. Do you put it on a treblehook? Just curious, never had much luck with any type of doughbait. Len

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Yeap just use a good worm with it.

3. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Punch bait is great for channels. As the name says, just use the tool of your choce to punch a #1 treble hook down into the bait and pull back out at an angle. Can then manipulate it into a ball shape around treble. Had great success with punch bait for eaters and a lot of the makes don't make your hands reak for days.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, I use it quite often in rivers, just use a treble hook & keep the bait in a container that is very cool. I prefer to put mine in an old cooler with ice around it.

The bait worms work okay depending on the brand of bait you use.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I find looper rigs work well with most punch bait,it seems to hold longer.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Danny Kings punch bait works great in any fishing situation. Works best for us on a trebble hook from #5 all the way up to a 2/0. It not only will catch the eaters but it catches big blues as well. When skip jack and shad are not working it is our go to bait to put fish in the boat.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you know i have used danny kings many times and have never even gotten a bite?Everyone speaks so highly of it but i havent had any action on that stuff,is it just me?:confused2:

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    do looper rigs work with danny kings. i use a lot of danny kings and the looper rigs look good, but was wondering if they go together?

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

James, Either you were not baiting properly or there just were not any fish in the area if you were not getting any bites. Use a trebble hook and a punch stick and punch the trebble down in the bait and jerk it out at a 45 degree angle. On a new hook you will have to repeat this 4 or 5 times and your goal is to have a ball of bait about the size of a golf ball. If you have not had a bite in 15 to 20 minutes reel in re-bait and move to another location.

Bobby, I have had success with the kahle hook looper rigs testing them and I understand Elgin now has a circle hook. They work O.K. with DK's punch bait but his rigs are more designed for a dough bait. I have better luck with trebble hooks. Another thing is if you are after channel cats you wll have to develope a feel for when to set the hook. The blues will usually run with it and a channel will at times but usually you will just feel a steady light pull and then set the hook hard. Hope this helps.

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I've caught several smaller cats on Danny King, just started using it off an on a couple of years ago. For the times I've used it, it seems to work well...