Punch Bait ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by Bunker Dunkers, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Hey Tim or others,

What the best way to use it. I dont normally use trebles as it suggests on the tub instruction. I was thinking of smearing it on some thick felt or sponge cut out in the shape of a slug of herring rigged to a "circle" hook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey bob I have use it on on 2/0 j hooks rolled in a ball and that worked ok. Terble hook is the way to go I use 2 up to 2/0 and I am going to try 5/0 on the dropoff this weekend to see if the big boys will pisk it up. I have use 5/0 terble with cut bait three pices of bait on one hooks works great. I would just try some of them ways and see let us know how they work out.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :cool: Hey guys' try a 1/0 treble hook...rig it with a no roll flat slip sinker..I use 2oz and 3oz depending on my rod and reel size..put a plastic bead below the sinker and tie a barrel swivel on ..then tie a 14inch leader on the bottom with a treble hook at the end punch in bucket and jerk it out at an angle..may have to do it a couple of times at first to get a good sized bait.When you get it casted use your bait click and watch em' run!!!Hey tim i catch BIG Blues on punch..Never seen a day they wasn't biting it...ever.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bob, Try some looper rigs, they are designed for use with dip/ punch baits. Just pull the rig out at an angle and the bait will stay on well.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    TopSrt gave you some good advice. Loop has a good rig.

I have been playing around with dip and punch bait on circle hooks. Here is where I am at present.

- Looper rigs work well

- Loofah cut in bite size pieces. Loofah is a natural vegy type stuff found in the beauty aid department of most stores. Used to scrub off dry skin.

- Dip bait tubes. So,So

I am not happy with the amount of bait that slings off when I cast. So I am now trying out little pre-packaged bite size packets. I found some ultra cheap material (50 cents a yard) at the sewing shop. The stuff that a brides veil is made of. I cut a 4"x4" square, put a spoon full of bait in it and tie it shut. It forms a nice little ball. I can set at home with the wind to my back and make up several packets, put them in a jar and just stick a hook through one when I'm baiting up. I do have to cut them off the hook. hahaha

6. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Tim, Big Sam, TopSgtLawrence, Cornhusker,

Thanks a lot for the quick and informative responses. This old dog just learned some new tricks:

Wasn't aware of Looper's Rigs and now see them up there as a sponsor, looks like a neat invention, gonna have to try them.

And tomorrow the Missus might be missing her Loofah. :^)

I appreciate the input.

Bob

7. jaycool

jaycool New Member

State:
    maryland
    Hey guys i did a trip with Tim last weekend and i can say that on the Potomac river if your looking to catch alot of catfish get some of this Danny King bait. My son (greg) and i had well over 50 cats in around 3 hours this stuff they get never stoped biting on it. I'm hooked on it i can say that when i get my boat on the water It will have Danny king bait in it.