Punch Bait Hooks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Stemwinder, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Stemwinder

Stemwinder New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What kind of hook is best for punch bait? I've been having trouble keeping the bait on my hook.

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I use the old standby no. 4 or 6 treble.In the heat of summer when I usually use the punch baits for small channels for the table I will sometimes mix cattail or get some of the small sterile cotton balls.You have to pull them apart and stir the strands in the whole time but it will help.
    I am wanting to try some of the looper rigs made and sold by a member on here.I hate using a treble because sometimes you will catch a five pound or larger fish and they will swallow it.I still cut the line and let them go but I often wonder if they have a chance....

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 4-6 sponge type trebles do better for holding the bait.

4. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've used the dip tubes before, but I always wondered just how long the bait stays on/in the tube once it's in the water. My guess is not very long.

Rummaging around in the garage the other day, I came upon some sponges my wife had bought years ago for a painting project in the house. These aren't the type you might find under the kitchen sink, they're the rough textured and tough type that look like they just came off the ocean floor. I guess they're used for texture painting on walls and such. I tore one into manageable sized chunks and fitted a few treble hooks with them. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I believe they're going to work really well. With a sponge, if the bait washes off the outside, at least you'll still get a little more mileage from what's left in the nooks and crannies than you might with a dip tube or dip worm.

5. Stemwinder

Stemwinder New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hate those plastic dip tubes. I think they are completely worthless.

6. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id use a number 4 treble with the spring on it.the bait holds alot longer with those.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If your talking strictly punch bait, nothing beats a #4 or #5 trebble hook. If you want to try some dip bait get ahold of Jeff with team catfish and try some secret 7, he can also fix you up with some different types of bait holders :cool2:.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I mold my bait around the trebble like power bait. I then take a piece of string and wrap it around the bait a few times:wink:

10. bassmanatcs

bassmanatcs New Member

State:
    Junction City, Kansas
    I use a dip tube and a sponge with a #4 treble hook. Works great! :cool2:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The question is about a punch bait. Here is some fundamentals. A punch bait is a fiber bait and a #2 or #4 treble works best. A dough bait is a stiffer stink bait, also called a ball bait, and the #4 or #6 treble with a spring works best. The dip bait is a softer stink bait. The best bait holder to use is a Looper Rig, Mini Furry Thng, or tubes.