Pumping up a nighcrawler?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Randync, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Years ago when my uncles fished Ba$$ tourneys they used to take a needle and pump air into a Nightcrawler, to make it bigger. They swore by it. Would this help my odds of catching a decent sized cat? Or do cats with any size just ignore worms? Decent sized to me is anything over 5 pounds, because the biggest Ive caught was less than that.

One more queston- Walmart sells these little packs of Shad. I don't have a casting net yet, should I buy some of the Shad or does it need to be fresh.? I think next time I see somebody casting a net Im going to try to buy some off them.

2. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I guess I should have put this in the Bait forum. Sorry about that, Mods.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I use a hyperdemic needle to fill my worms with air. it works sometimes usually get good eater size cats that bite.

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Randy,

Not sure about pumping the worms up. I don't think it could hurt any. As far as the Wal mart packaged shad...don't waste your money. Theree have been numerous threads on here about the subject and the concensus is that they are crap.

5. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks guys.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Best bait for you is bream use them live for flats cut for blues and channels. If you can get right up to the dam where the water is rolling you can catch shad there probally witha cast net. walmart sells them pretty cheap. if you want to use froze shad let me know and next time im out on the lake ill catch you some u can freeze. froze bait isnt as good as fresh but better than nothing.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Cats over 5 will eat worms... but they prefer more substantial meals usually... Umm filling it with air has nothing to do with making it look larger... it gets it off the bottom and kind of hovering/floating so its more attractive and an easier grab for the cats/ba$$/etc...

I've tried that shad stuff... Better off paying another member on here to ship you some that you can use or just buying a castnet... It works but nowhere near fresh or frozen shad... and thats if the fish are willing to hit anything you throw at them... if they are being the least bit finiky your almost better off having nothing on the hook...

If your looking to catch bigger cats... try using those worms to catch some local forage fish in the lake/river your fishing... Then either use them as cut bait or tie them out there live...

8. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im going to a Bream Hole (we caught 23 on nightcrawlers in 2 hours) this evening to catch some bait for tonight. Thanks for the offer of the shad, I think I will invest in a cast net, next week. Im sure they more than pay for themselves after you catch your own bait a few times.

9. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina

Well my uncles told me it made them bigger, but then again they drank alot back then:lol:

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thats the truth at least for Catfish, I was told that they are more for Walleye or Muskeye or something like that. I tried the Rusties brand and after spending 5 beans on them I was told they are not used for catfish.

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you cant catch any shad where your at let me know and ill get you some next time im on lake hickory. Where are you going fishing tonight? do alot of people fish lookout? i know on hickory and rhodhiss so many other people fish it cant hardly fish on Saturday nights. try using cut and live bream. let it set out there till something bite it and after a hour i always rebait with fresh bait. Hook the live ones right below the back fin but not deep in the fishes body or u will kill it. let me know how you do down there. iv never fished that area.

At night time shad comes to light so cast the net off a lighted boat dock. It is illegal to keep anything other than shad. if you catch crappie or bluegill/bream suppose to release all but the shad.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I knew I had seen this done before! I was so intregued by the opperation I got a picture of the guy doing it at the Henderson Riverfront!!! You all may recognize him!!!

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't resist it folks, LOL!!!

14. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im going fishing over at Molly's Backbone Road, upper end of Norman. Im kinda wanting to catch bream there, and then go to Lookout but it IS hard to find a bank spot over there on the weekends. Im leaning more towards just staying over there if I can find a spot there. You usually can over at MB. Alot of people won't fish the little creek that runs into that cove, but it's full of Bream and I hooked a good sized Cat down there a few weeks ago that broke my line. Lookout will also be full of drunks tonight it always is. I always fish Thur nights at Lookout so the kids can watch the weigh in of the Ba$$ tourney. I usually fish it at least 3 nights a week on weekdays. I live about 3 miles from the Access.

15. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    What do you think JW about 4psi

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    He said he likes them at about 20psi cause the fish swallow them and are much larger than normal when you get them in, LOL!!!

17. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How deep is the water there at mollys backbone? you fish on the game land?

18. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah we fish on the game land. It's pretty shallow right there in the cove. Ive seen boats come in there, but they always stick to the right side if your coming from the lake. Ive seen em come in with casting nets to catch bait. Right there next to the road is real shallow but it goes from about a foot deep to 4 or 5 to at the far right side if your looking at it from the road. There are fish in that deeper area which is right against the bank. The bream hole is on the right side of the bridge if your coming from Catawba, in the little creek or channel or whatever it is. About 100 yards from the bridge a little creek runs into that, and there are always bream there. People take canoes up in there all the time, to check their turtle traps. We got rained out down there yesterday only caught 1. Then went to Lookout and fished a bit and caught 7 or 8 more bream there, used some for bait, and didn't catch anything. We gave what we didn't use to some guys on a boat that forgot to bring their casting net.

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    The only use for pumping up worms is for them to "float up" off the bottom.
    Walleye guys use them for their bottom rigs to get the worm up.

20. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I would think the advantage to pumping air into worms would be the cats could find it better once they smell it and start coming to it.