Pulling Wire Through Buried Wireway

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I went to pull wire for the circuits in the front of my boat today. Didn't go as smoothly as I'd've liked since I used 1/2 PVC for my wireways (bigges I could fit through the space I had) and I had to pull through a couple of 90 degree fittings. My fishtape wouldn't go through, so after scratching my head a while I raided my wife's knitting bag and stole about 20' of her yarn. I tied a bit mess of knots in the end and put the shop vac on the other end of my wire run. Pic is of the end of the yarn after sucking it through the pipe with the vacuum. Following images are of the other steps to pull 4 hots and 3 grounds through. 14 gauge wire since all I'm planning up front is lights. I have another wireway under the deck for additional pulls if I need them.

[​IMG]

2. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Good tip Bro. Thanks,
    Bigwhiskers

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Glad it worked out for ya, have you found the steering is not to much, or is it gonna be a bear? Hope not, shes lookin mighty good bro!

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Once I had my yarn through the pipe, I got my wire ready to pull. I cut 4 pieces of red at 20' long (plenty of extra for both ends) and marked each one of the wires at both ends so I knew which one goes to which circuit.

[​IMG]

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Once I had my wires marked, I taped them together about every 3'. Then I taped a piece of wire to my yarn and pulled it through the pipe. Once I had it through, I trimmed my wires to be pulled and kind of "echeloned" them so that each one was about 3" shorter than the previous one. This builds up the bundle size gradually so it will make the turns easier and you don't have a big wad of wire to pull around bends.

The attached pic shows them taped to the "pull" wire and ready to go through the pipe. I did cheat and gob on a bunch of petroleum jelly to help them out a bit:wink:

[​IMG]

6. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Now that right there is a slick trick! We used air guns back in the day to run wire in conduit. If I was you I would consider running a few extra strings for future wire runs. And to save alot of agrevation I would steal some of the wifes different color yarn. That way you know which string you need to hook to(if you have more than one string ran).
    ~Teddy

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Last pic is of all 7 wires pulled through and ready to go. Most of you guys I'm sure figured this stuff out, but the vaccum trick makes life a lot easier. Enjoy!

Branden

[​IMG]

8. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    If you aint cheatin', you aint trying! Whatever it takes to get it done.
    Bigwhiskers

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Branden thanks for sharing a great idea. Appreciated.

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Yep thats an old electrichians secret, we tie a sandwich bag to the end of our string and blow it up a little with air to fit the hole then suck it through with the shop vac. Good tip!

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Branden,I used to work in Fiber optic installation,We would tie a piece of ice bag onto a cord and use a compresser to 'blow ' it as much as 1000 ft at a time,the vac trick works great for short runs too.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always learn something when I log on to this site. Great idea/trick. Now if my feeble brain will remember it so I can use it. LOL

I have to start on my boat, and run new transducer cable. Thanks for the tip.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I tried tying a small piece of shop rag on the end and blowing it through and vacuuming it through, the problem is the PVC fittings aren't flush on the inside like conduit so everything kept hanging up on the edges of the fittings at the 90. I was at my wits end when I finally tried the yarn:eek:oooh:

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Branden, good post, and good idea.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can buy the foam rats for different sizes of pipe at electrical supply houses. The small ones are cheap.
    I've done the bags and plastic in a fix but its hard to beat a good rat and a bucket of pull string.

A rat wouldnt work I wouldnt think if you used water line 90's as opposed to the sweeping ells. Never tried it.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Branden, I'm curious, as a matter of hindsight, could you have assembled your cable race with the wires already in it? Or at least, a pull wire?

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thats using the gray matter.good tip

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wire pulling soap/lube will make pulling the wire through the cpvc a breeze, it can be had at any electrical contractor sales outlet, Lowes is where I got mine. Sometimes the electrical tape holding the bundle together will want to roll up in the pipe when it gets tight.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sure could have Dave - hindsight being 20/20 that's probably what I should have done but I didn't realize it was going to be the hassle it was to pull them through:smile2: Only good thing about doing it last is that I didn't have the wires in the way for all the other work since the pipes were the first thing to go in.

20. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    the jelly works ok they also make wire lube that i used when i worked maintance to pull 3 phase circuits though conduit.