Pulling the lower unit off.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by gearhead, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Its a 2001 mercury 20 hp ,Is there anything I should be aware of before I tear in to it ,Any helpful suggestions welcome .I would like to try and fix it myself, Thanks anyone.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Gearhead, On most lower unit removals, the hardest part is the shift linkage. If you can whip that, which aint real hard you won't have any trouble. Vern

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yeah, real simple. IF you don't all ready have a manual for that motor, get one. As a temporary means, you can go to the public library and generally zerox the few pages in the manual which deals with the lower unit removal. Some of these motors are electric shift (don't know about yours) which is a completley different animal than the manual shifts. A manual will save you money. A manual will save you time. A manual will save you fistfulls of hair. Get a manual.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah the linkage is hardest park to get back in. Easiest way is to put it in gear and turn the prop by hand untill it lines up.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Lawrence is right, there's no substitute for the manual. If you can find the actual shop manual it's miles better than the Clymer books or whatever, but the Clymers are a lot better than nothing.

When you go to put it back on, try and have an extra set of hands. One person can do it, but it can be a hassle lining up your water and exhaust tubes and the driveshaft splines. If you don't get the water tube lined up and seated you've got a rather large problem coming in your near future:wink:

With a handle like Gearhead you'll probably have no problems at all, but the manual does make things easier. Good Luck~

Branden

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    should be a piece of cake line up the shift linage by turning the prop

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Thanks guys, rev. dogs must be buzzed off, it want stay in rev.