Pulling bait out of catfish's mouths ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyron4, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The last few times I went out flathead fishing , I set up with a 4"-5" gill hooked through the lips with a 5/0 Kahle hook. The clicker would go off and line would peel off at slow steady pace. I'd let it pull off about 50-60yds. of line and set the hook. In all cases I'd "feel" the fish for a split second or see a splash at the surface, but never made one hook up. The 'gill would come back crushed with the scales scraped off . One night this happened three times in 40 mins , so I put a piece of cut gill on and threw it back. Within 20 mins. I hooked up with a smaller 3-4 lbs. channel cat. How much line should I give them (reel only hold 150 yds, ) ? I hate to give them line just to have them swim into a log snag. A flatty, even a small one, peels line off fairly quickly compared to what I'm getting. Is this common with smaller channels and flats or could it be gars (our gars run 20"-30" here) also ? It seems when fishing with these size gills I catch 24"+ flatties or get the falses runs. Any advice or opinions welcomed.- Thanks
    :angry: :confused2: :angry:

2. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Sounds alot like a Gar, but it could be a Flat try hooking your bait at the dorsel fin if the water isn't to swift to drown them.Also you might conceder a double hook rig one in the lip an one in the tail just past the dorsel fin.
    Loop

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, tight line them. When a flat hits your bait like that and for some reason the hook doesn't set leave your bait right where it is. They will come back for it. If you let them run and they drop the bait it takes them forever to find it again. At any rate letting them run off so many yards is a bad idea. If the bait is in their mouth at fifty yards it was in there at ten.:wink:

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Perhaps a larger hook & a double rig will solve that problem:big_smile:

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This year I have been having a lot of trouble with that happening on the river. I use Kahle hooks mostly. I have tried letting them run and setting the hook during the run, I have tried to turn off the clicker and let the rod double over then set the hook, I have tried to set the drag tight and just leave the poles in the pole holder and it is the same result each time. I think I have either been on Gar or really small cats because nothing is working. I have also tried the same with circle hooks and have had no more luck.

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    i have had some of the same issues as kitsinni, and i think its smaller flats trying to get the big bait down. They are aggressive little guys.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds exactly like my luck with kahles when i tried them, thats why i quit using them. circles for me sometimes a J

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d switch to a larger J hook.I never give a flattie more than 5 ft.Sounds like what your talking about is gar runs.Hate em with a passion!:wink:

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I bet it's a school of 80 pounders that just want to nibble

10. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Mike you might try a double hook rig, that way if one don't get him the other should! Pretty esy to make up if you snell your own hooks. Get about 18" of leader line and snell one hook about half way up that line and leave your tag end. Snell you second hook about the distance of the length of bait you are using to the tag end you left on the first hook and cut the tag end short on your second hook. I always leave the end of my leader that gets attached to the main line untied untill I am ready to use it, so I can decide how long I want it to be over all.

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with you it sounds like a gar to me also

12. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Personally I don't let them run that far. Once the baitclicker starts clicking I give it maybe 3 seconds of good continous pull and I crank down on the reel. I use Octopus circle hooks for all my catfishing. There's no yanking the rod, just give the reel a good couple turns to hook the fish and pull the rod out of the holder and reel him in. Another thing is I hook my perch or gill on the upper back. I don't go deep but just enough to keep it on. This is what works for me....

13. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    big g. little a. little r.!!!!!!!!!!!!gar

14. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would suspect Gar also but he said his reel peeled off at a slow steady pace.My experiance when gar are grabbing my live bait and "running" with it they tear off screaming with it unlike a Flat.Could also be like already suggested very small Flats looking for a big meal (are you having this problem in the same hole).Also this has happened to me before and Im sure many others when I go out a couple of times in a row and it seems Im not hooking 2 outta 3 runs and I start thinking of changing to different hooks smaller baits etc even though Ive done well with the same tackle before.