Public Land Hunting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 12, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Anyone here hunt Yazoo NWR or Delta NWR or any of the other public lands in mississippi?

2. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :wub:

3. flatheaddundee

State:
    Madison,MS
  4. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    I've bowhunted Yazoo about 3 times, which is a shame, because it's so close! 2 of the 3 times, I either kept bumping into other folks, or had them walking around me while I was hunting, so I gave it up. I've got a friend that is a hardcore Yazoo hunter, and he usually kills a wallhanger every year. The problem with him, and all of the guys that hunt down there a lot, is that they're not real big on giving tips!

I also hunted DNF for 4 or 5 years. Never once killed a deer down there, but I saw a few nice ones... usually in someone else's pickup! I hunted around Road 703 Dead End ( I think!). It was due east of Cary, MS, and most of our hunting was about a mile or 2 from the Little Sunflower river. Those are some pretty woods!

Another pretty spot that may be getting overlooked, but is just a few miles further from you than Yazoo is Leroy Percy State Park. It's about 1200 acres of hardwood timber. I bowhunted it religeously for 1 season, and never got a shot, but had several nice bucks circle me just out of range. It was the first year of the 4 points or better rule, and I remember I had a 3 point right up under me for 20 minutes one day. When I signed out, I saw the manager who was a friend of mine, and he said, "Aww, you shoulda shot him! He's a cull buck." I'm sure his story would have been different had I shot him! There's a lot of farmland all around the park, and I've see some really BIG bucks on the northeast corner of the park... they were actually on private land, but they were coming from the park when I saw them.

Hope this helps you out!

5. flatheaddundee

State:
    Madison,MS
    Has your buddy seen any good ones this year on yazoo or killed one last year? I can understand the not giving out tips thing because i used to hunt there a lot and when i said i saw a few does it meant I just a monster. I just wanna know if they have seen any good bucks out there lately because i would like to start hunting there again, but the only way I'm gonna fight that crowd and walk those miles is if there is a wallhanger roaming around!

6. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Haven't heard him say whether he's seen one or not. He keeps it real hush-hush. I'm pretty certain, however, there are some biggun's walking around down there. I'm on a club about 4 miles away as the deer walks, and we get some big ones every year that come in from Yazoo, looking for does.

7. flatheaddundee

State:
    Madison,MS
    Well the weather is finally gettin cold. Hope it stays this way we have already had a bad enough weather season, first we have katrina to flood the foodplots then we have a drought to dry em up and its been hot all year. Maybe this cold weather will get them up and movin! Anybody around these parts had any luck?