Public Land Hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by spcmitchell28, Jan 16, 2009.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I am looking into possibly trying to go hunting this fall out west for possibly antelope or mule deer. Can anyone give me any suggestions of good public land to try out, and some of your guys states info for applying for a tag? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because trying to read some of the states regulations is like readying a whole nother language. lol. I would just love the oppurtuity to hunt for something I never have before, unfortunately guided hunts would break the bank for me. :crazy:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Troy,If you click on any of the state fishing stuff,Theres a "sticky" go there State agency's,Then click the appropiate state agency. Here where I live in N M ,all antelope hunts are draw ,unless ya kiss a$$ and pay through the nose for a landowner permit. I live close to some great pronghorn hunting. The area I live in is unit 41 in the antelope area. There were 300 liscences available for this past season.,the hunt was aug. 23-25,bag limit ,MB meaning one Mature buck. If theres any way I can help more ,let me know.

oops,I forgot to add the deadline for applying last year was April 9 and there is a non refundable fee of 8.00, and a 5.00 habitat stamp,4.00 hunter management stamp. the non res. fee for pronghorn is 278.00 plus those added fees.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    In AZ, if you want to hunt antelope, you better start putting in ,, you'll probably be an old man before you draw a tag.. hard to come by,,
    Mule deer, a bit better, still a draw, but, they offer a lot more permits,, AZGF.com will get you hooked up here..
    Another hunt that may interest yo is the Elk hunt, tough to get a tag, but, a great hunt..
    Check the regs in any state you may have an interest in..

I hunt antelope in wyoming, and getting drawn has been very successful ..It's a hoot.

I used to get "over the counter" tags in Colorado for Mule deer and Elk, I think you still can, but, like you say, sometimes the regs are confusing.
    If you are interested in AZ, the Elk and Antelope application is going to be due very soon,, So, for 09, you'd need to get with it on those, Deer will be applied for a bit later..
    Let me know, there's other options,,,,

Good luck,

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    there's lot's of public land out here , so many units to choose from . Bull Elk is over the counter for most units , there are others that take prefrence points . these units take a few points from 1 all the way too +12 , your Muleys take anywhere from 1 to 5 points .
    archery , muzzle , 1'rst rifle and 4'rth rifle are the ones that take about 4 too 10 yr's to draw ( Depending on unit ) as for pronghorn never hunted them yet , so can't help u out there . out of state tags are $500.00 for elk Bull , cow elk are around $250.00 when they are available must apply for cow as for mule deer .
    Colorado also has left over tags after the drawing is over whatever is left you can purchase them as over the counter tag . Brochures come out around the end of feb 1'rst week of march Deadline is around the 1'rst week of April .( Brochure is always changeing every yr )
    as 223 Reload requested try and check the Colorado Divison of Wildlife web site .

5. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I just want to thank everyone for all the info. It sounds like I just need to try to take a closer look at the regs. I would love the chance to get an elk, but from what I understood they are the hardest tags to draw. With mule deer not being too much easier. I will definately be trying to get a pronghorn license though. :tounge_out:. I would love to try to ambush one of those speedgoats with my bow :crazy: