Public Land Elk

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Switchback XT, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Does anyone here do any public land archery elk hunts? I go every year during september in Colorado and usually at least get a shot. I usually stay in a tent for a week and hike up and down mountains all day, you should smell my sleeping bag at the end of the week. Just wondering if their is anyone else still doing it the hard way.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My hats off to you. I elk hunted years ago when I was abled. As you say I did it the hard way. We a group of 3 to 6 would be gone for 5 to 10 days but we took horses. I hunted Oregon for several years.

3. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Got a bow....in Colorado elk country....I've always wanted to take an elk with my bow. Where do you hunt? Theres several hunters in tents in the White River National Forest, about 45 minutes from here, off of 325, I think. Also, Meeker and Rangley have several places also. Keep me posted.

The thought of hunting a week in a tent like that, sounds great! But then again, kinda hard to stay in a tent when my bed is less than an hour away..:lol:

4. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    I just can't think of the name of the national forest I hunt. Its in the southeast just about in the corner of the state, not too far from gunnison. I think maybe a 4 or 6 hour drive from denver? You should go for it, elk are not near as smart as deer in my oppinion, but when they're spooked they're gone for good.

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Would that be in the Uncompahgre...about as hard to spell as it is to say and remember...lol.

Im farther north of there a cpl of hours. But theres some fine hunting on Grand Mesa, they got a nice moose population up there as well.

6. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    How about kansas? Any public elk hunting around kansas? We sell elk permits (by lottery), and you can hunt on and around Ft. Riley, but is there public ground places to hunt around there?