Public Input for New Sport Fishing Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ShilohRed, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/07fishcomments.html
    Click on the link and send the TWRA a Letter to see if we can get catfish started toward being a Game fish. Looks like that may be the only way to stop the Commercial fisherman from taking all the big fish.
    I have mailed mine how about you?
    If we can flood them with e-mails and calls. We should be able to at least plant the ideal into there heads.

Pete

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK Pete I sent mine along. I wish everyone on this board would do so.

Come on people, Pete made it easy. All you have to do is click. We must care.

The BOC has a large enough membership to carry weight on these matters but we must let them here from us.

Thanks Pete
    Danny

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Danny.
    Also does not matter what state your from. WE just need to get them plenty of mail.
    And at least plant that first seed in there heads that catfish may need to be looked at for a game fish.
    The time is here.
    Pete

4. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Shiloh, everyone with ideas how to help catfishing as a sport and fishing in general should send an email ASAP. Deadline is May 18th, 2007. Here is a copy of what I sent if anyone is interested.

I would like to 1st keep the current 34" catfish regulation in place. The law will allow trophy catfish to continue to flourish in TN. The restriction that commercial fisherman cannot keep any catfish over 34" should be left in place. I come to TN from NC because of the trophy catfishing. I spend lots of money in the state of TN each year on things like license, food, supplies, motels, travel costs, entertainment, etc. This revenue would be lost if the trophy cats were not there. The current regulation allows for the trophy catfishing to expand over time and stay in excellent shape. I am a member of a catfish club in NC and many of our members takes trips to TN as far as the Cumberland River and Mississippi in Western TN, and all the East TN lakes on the TN River system. I would also like to recommend that catfish be considered a game fish AND be given all the protections that fish like bass, stripers, and crappie are given. They cannot be caught in nets etc. by commercial fisherman and neither should catfish be. The use of nets to catch game fish, including catfish, should not be allowed. If commercial guys want to catch cats on trotlines or rod-n-reel more power to them. I have personally seen lots of dead cats, stripers, and bass floating dead near nets that commercial guys have set-up in the Cumberland River...what a waste. So I would recommend the following:
    1. Current 34" regulation stay in place as is with the addition that it is illegal to transport fish alive over state lines with severe penalties (set-up by the TWRA).
    2. The use of nets to catch game fish is illegal on all TN rivers and lakes, and catfish would be listed as a game fish with this protection.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

I agree. But the 34" law may be out the window. If so we need a backup plan. And this is the start. Would be nice to know someone that knows someone that could get a bill in to stop them from even fishing..
    Pete

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pete we just sent an e-mail to the link also. We sure hope this does some good. The squeeky wheel gets the grease so we all should be doing some loud squeeking.

7. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I sent mine.
    Now lets see if they respond?

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I hope they do. As it looks like its 2 late now for the 34" law.

8 voted yes there was not any No's. Where is the rest of the people that should have been voting. You can bet the ones I voted will hear plenty tomorrow. And more when its time to vote again.

Looks bad for the 34" law.
    Rec. For Pass. by s/c ref. to State & Local Government Committee 4/18/2007
    REC=Rec: Recommended; Recommendation
    S/C=S/C: Subcommittee
    Ref=Ref: Referred
    SJR0082 by Beavers
    S. S&L GOVT. COMM.:
    Recommended for passage - refer to: S. Cal. Comm.

3/13/2007

Ayes.............................................. ..8
    Noes.............................................. ..0

Senators voting aye were: Burchett, Finney L., Harper, Haynes, Ketron, Norris, Tracy, Watson -- 8.

Hope for the best. But sounds like we will know for sure by tomorrow.
    Pete
    Also I received a e-mail today. And it stated there was only 6 or 7 of the commercial guys that were pushing this.
    Sure is bad when one elected official and half a dozen can change a law that is for the people.
    Pete

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    sent mine as well Pete

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If it helps anyone, this is what I sent them:
    Hello,
    It is imperative that Tennessee’s catfish are given game fish status with substantial penalties for breaking size and creel limits in order to protect them from commercial fishermen. Although the current regulations are supposed to prevent more that one fish over 34 inches being taken per day they are woefully under enforced and commercial fishermen are ravaging Tennessee catfish populations in order to supply out of state pay lakes with big fish. There are currently moves being made by members of the legislature to repeal the 34 inch rule. If this happens the catfish in Tennessee's rivers and lakes will have no protection at all. Game fish status for catfish is the only realistic way to protect this valuable resource and ensure the future of trophy catfishing in Tennessee.
    Thank you, Winston Bush
    ...W

11. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Here, I made it even easier.

http://paddling.le-mank.com/steve/emailform.php

Just put in your email address, then write your email in the contents box.

It will automatically create and send an email to the twra address with your email as the sender. the email will look like this:
    sure beats opening up your email program, or surfing to your online account doesn't it?

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Looks like I posted the wrong section. I will try to find the one on the 34" law. As thanks to rwilley3 He let me know it was not the right one. Guess I was 2 tied to be on line..
    Pete

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here is a copy of the letter I sent to them, I hope it isn't just tossed out:

To whom it may concern,
    I am a member of the largest Catfishing website on the WWW. It is called the BOC, The Brotherhood of Catfishermen, www.catfish1.com . I am also the President of the Kentucky Chapter of A.C.A.T.S and it has come to my attention that you were asking for input on a subject that I am very concerned about, ie. the promotion of catfish to a gamefish level. I myself am an avid Catch and Release Sportsman and think that if the catfish was looked at like a Bass or Crappie, things would be alot better for all people involved.
    I and many other catfishing sportsmen, visit your state many times a year because of the great fishery your state has developed in the last few years. We spend a tremendous amout of money on lodging, fuel, food, fishing licenses, entertainment, tackle and, bait.
    It would be a shame to lose that revenue because of a "tiny minority" of people that are raping public waters to make a living.
    I view commercial fishing as, STEALING from the public, please let me explain:
    A farmer buys or leases the property he farms, he buys the seed to plant, he has to pay for the fertilizer to make the crop grow and, pay for chemicals to keep the pests out of it to keep it healthy, Not so with commercial fishermen. The only thing they have invested in the crop that they are taking is Equipment. It would be like you or I growing a feild of corn and having someone else come in and steal your crop.
    Those fish larger than 10 to 15lbs are our breeders. If they are removed from the system, what will that do to our fishery? It will put a damper on the amount of fish being spawned every year. A 50 to 60lb catfish is not an everyday occurance anymore because of commercial fishing. Also, a 50 to 60lb fish will produce more eggs than a smaller one and their success rate will be higher due to their size and ability to protect their nest. These bohemeths are geneticaly superior to the smaller fish, losing those genetics would be a sad thing for us all.
    The only reason that these people want these bigger fish is to sell them to "out of state" paylakes. The Paylakers pay Big Money for those fish. The only way i can see to stop this is to adopt a law, moving the three main species of catfish (Flathead catfish, Blue catfish, and Channel catfish) to gamefish status and enforce it.. Doing this would insure that the commercial fishermen couldn't wrap lawmakers around their little fingers. The main person pushing the repeal of the 34 inch rule is not even from your state, he is from Kentucky.
    We have the same problem here in Kentucky and right now there is nothing we can do to stop them. We feel helpless because we don't have as large a voice in these matters. We are hoping that Kentucky adopts the same kind of "34 inch law" that you have in Tennessee. What would make it even better is to have the Catfish moved to "Gamefish Status" in Kentucky. They are presently toying with the idea and are using Tennessee's success with their system, as an example. You should be proud of what you have done and keep it in place.

Thank You for your time,

John Fisher
    President of the Kentucky Chapter of A.C.A.T.S
    American Catfish Anglers Tournamen Series
    www.cafishangler.com

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Guys and glad to see this back on here.
    We need as many people as we can get to support this. Its only planting a seed. But we have to start somewhere..
    Pete

15. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    While your at it put in a word for the alligator gar also. It is being reintroduced into the hatchie river system so we might as well get it's name on the list for sportfish so as not to have to reintroduce it again in another hundred years.

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I have sent a few letters over the last month. So I can say I tried. I wish more people would get involved. The same ten or fiteen people are always the ones concerned and the rest never have any say in it. I wish we could get like five hundred letters out to them.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here is a reply I received.,
    ((Dear Pete,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I share your concerns on this issue. I appreciate knowing what the citizens think about the issues facing our state and the district that I represent. It is helpful when it comes time for me to vote. If I can be of further assistance to you, contact my office.

Sincerely,
    Tommy Kilby))
    So at least someone is reading there mail.
    Pete

18. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I must live too far out of his and all the others players districts for them to care. None wrote me back crap not even my own rep. I am hoping it is because he has no dog in the fight since he is not on the committee. If it evers gets to a vote where he does I hope he is listening.

19. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Kilby, isn't he one of the sponsers on the new 34" regulation?

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    He is the sponsor of the Senate version of Borchert's House Bill. He is Senator from District 12 which is Campbell, Fentress, Morgan,
    Rhea, Roane and Scott counties. Hey Pete he must have heard you have a BOC event named in your honor and felt he better respond to you.:lol: