Public Elk Hunting Colorado

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by zmoon, Sep 5, 2007.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some friends and I are wanting to go to Colorado to hunt elk next year. We would like to hunt public land, but really dont know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to try? Thanks

Zach

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I"d be interested too. I'm also interested in some public hunting areas for antelope and mule deer. We're both waiting, LOL.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the Colo game and fish website.They have tons of info for you.You may have to google it but it will be worth it.Then send for the hunting map and license application guide.I have to tell you non resident fees are steep.I was stationed in Colo for 10 years and lived there and additional 5.I still elk hunt and ski every year so I can help you once you get your map.There is lots of public land so that isnt a problem.:smile2:

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    When I lived out there We used to hunt North of Steamboat Springs. Go north on the road that runs north beside the Airport and go north til the road bends to the west> Just before the road Bends to the west you can turn right and it will take you to Baulch Park(Spelling) that is public land in there and north to the WY. Line. Or you can continue going west from the above mention Bend and in about 3 to 4 miles, all the land to the right of the Road is BLM Land. There will be some dirt roads turn to the right. Just go back in these roads and you will see places people have had camps. Hunt North of the little Creek that runs east to West about 400 yards north if the road in the BLM Land. I have killed several Elk in there. In the Baulch Park area there are roads going to the North but be cautious as you best have a 4 wheel Drive as there are some Bogs to the north,

Good Luck;

Gene

5. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks guys i will try to put this to use

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I lived in colo for some 20 yrs , I hunted units 18,27,and 181. there is lots of open land in all of them.My older son still hunts the same areas.when are you planing to hunt, I like the late seasons, as it is colder and most years the Elk have moved down.

7. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like to go in september. I want to get out there and try to get them with my bow while they are bugling

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    zmoon , drop me aline if you have anymore Questions i live here on the western slope surrounded by game units that are public land ,BLM , NF , .

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Chaves would have more info pretaining to hunting and units. Id be glad to mail out any info and Colorado Hunting Guides for those that are interested.

Good Luck :big_smile: