psychology benefits of catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BassMassey, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hey all my brothers.....i have this psychology paper due in class......im hoping maybe they're are some psychology majors in here??? hopefully my instructor will allow me to do this paper on catfishing and the psychological benefits from it...........i could come up with probally the whole paper myself but we need 2 reference sites.......i couldnt think of a better place then here for a reference....maybe some of u with some psychology knowledge could reply to this, or even if u dont have any psychology background and u would like to share ur thoughts.........i would appreciate any information u would like to share, and maybe even another site i could pull some info from.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It helps you become a more patient person. generally us catfisherman are really patient because thats what it takes in catfishing. We are less hyper active. Now bass fisherman on the other hand are more likely to hbe hyper active becaus ethey are always moving, casting, and they are always looking out areas to fish. LOL. Catfisherman are more laid back and mello, waiting for the fish to come to them instead of the constant urge of going to the fish. We know they will come sooner or later.Thats one psychological factor taht I have observed in my esperiences with catfisherman. :)

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well heres my thoughts.I have heart disease and with it i have a fast heart rate all the time,which i takes meds for.The doctor told me to do things i enjoy that are not to strenuous,so i go fishing.I have to check my heart rate several times a day.And when im fishing my heart rate will go down to near normal,because im relaxed.In a way its a part of my theropy and treatment really.so i hopes this helps good luck.

4. yadkinangler

yadkinangler New Member

Piscatorial Therapy - fishing for mental relaxation

This article sounds kind of scientific, and it did appear in a Medical Journal.

:)

5. yadkinangler

yadkinangler New Member

Ok, serious suggestion: can you do kind of the reverse? The effect of psychology on fishing performance? There are actually a couple of articles on that...

Fishing Psychology 101: It's not just physical

Performance Psychology and Tournament Fishing: Skill level

If you go read the second article, you can put the name of the author "McNamara" in their search box and you will find he is psychologist with a regular column in their magazine, and a lot of his articles on sports psychology as it relates to fishing are archived on the site. Most are specifically about enhancing your fishing with psychological techniques. A little pop psychology perhaps, but maybe enough to give you an angle on a paper.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    some say i am crazy. i totally agree. crazy about fishing. for 40 years while i was raising my kids and working all the time i only found time to fish 3 or 4 times a year. the rest of the year i stayed in a depressed state but those hungry mouths came first.
    after my first heart attack my doctor told me i needed a hobby to help relax. fishing was a natural but then i had another heart attack and was depressed again untill i could get to the lake. my wife gave me little shots of therapy by taking me where i could bank fish. i got back to fishing and was doing well then another heart attack and another. we would ride by the lake and i would almost loose controle but did not have enough breath to walk to the bank but i knew if i worked at it i could get back on the water.
    as i improved and started to get back to fishing my knees went out. the first knee surgery had to be done in winter and did not effect me much. by soring i could fish and this helped me come out of it. now it has been more than two years since a heart attack. i just got my other knee done and told the doctor i must be back on the lake in a month. i am 10 days out of surgery and suffering serious withdrawal from fishing. yesterday the doctor gave me a serious shot of encouragement. he told me as soon as the incission heals i can go fishing. it should be healed by next week. if not for fishng there would have been little to encourage me to fight through this but i know that bigun will be there and i will get him yet.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok, here is some of my college finally serving a purpose. LOL!! :D

The benefit is directly proportional to the state of mind that drives them to fish. A person who fishes for fun, as relaxation, without any expectation of success or accomplishment, will see fishing as beneficial. Someone who bases their self worth on what they accomplish while fishing may see fishing as a stress filled activity, especially when they have fallen short of their self imposed goal.

For fishing to be beneficial it needs to be something you can walk into and away from without mental baggage. It needs to be a "getaway" from everyday life. If you dwell the night before about catching or not catching fish, then negatives outweigh the benefits. If force yourself to analyze everything you do the resulting mental stress is not beneficial.

Would you call a vacation a vacation if you had to analyze everything you do while at the pool?

For most people fishing for catfish it is a relaxing and fun none pressure activity. For those who fish in tournaments there can be a pressure to accomplish and succeed. Many will base their self worth on how they do. They will come away from winning a tournament happy, while they come away from losing upset and down. In these situations the negatives outweigh the positives.

I read both articles that yadkinangler posted. Both articles make fishing into a competition to do better, more fish at the weigh in, "one more 4 pounder." They also associate success with catching fish. Remember, the converse of success is "FAILURE", so if success equal catching fish, then you will associate not catching fish with failure.

Bass fishing obviously seems to be a good example of how fishing can be a stressful and consuming experience. There is a tremendous financial commitment for even the club angler in rods, reels and $35,000 boats. Each fisherman is judged every time they weigh in, and then they are ranked all season long. It is easy to see how stress can be bred from this type of pressure. Sure they love it, but is there a true benefit?

Catfishing can be different, and it can be the same. For someone who can leisurely head off to the lake and truly enjoy themselves it can be a great stress free activity away from phone calls, e-mails, and the other stresses of everyday life. For the angler who fishes local tournaments it can be a stress filled event, often times driving the angler to find different ways to cheat their way to victory. Read the rules at any tournament catfish lake and you will see a list of everything an angler has done to win in the past!!

Castfishing can only be beneficial when the angler goes out with no expectations of success, and when they can come home with an empty stringer and a smile on their face in anticipation of their next trip.

8. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for all this info guys.......my instructor gave me the go ahead....i didnt really think about negative benefits from let down, and failure....keep the info coming brothers.......

9. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Great topic! i work second shift and get off at 11:30pm, often I have bait in the car and slip out to the lake for a few hours of late night/early morning fishing. Once i get settled and the lantern is lit, lines are in the water, I find an incredible feeling of calmness and tranquility watching the clouds, stars and the moonlight reflecting off the water. A man can do a lot of thinking during these times. Most of the time I catch a good mess of channels but the times when I don't are no less enjoyable. Fishin is good for what ails ya for sure.......

egg

10. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I havent never taken a class or nothing like that.But i know that when im out there on the river it relaxs me ALOT.I could have the worst day of my life go out there and not even catch one fish but still come out with a smile on my face.I would say that has to be some effect.Just wanted to get that in there.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    it can be disappointing. let's say your bud calls and says "hey, i caught a 15lb channel this morning. want to go fishing with me tomorrow?"

so, you get all pumped up about it, go buy a new uglystik and shimano reel, and get up bright and early to fish the next morning. and you get skunked. :crying:

but, the calm, quiet, and solitude are most assuredly therapeutic.
    being in nature will calm your soul

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Aaron,I believe that the BOC(which is all of you) and the hope of going fishing,helps keep me alive.The last of September,2002,my doc.told me"to get everything in order,as I didn;t have long to live."My wife asked "how long".Answer"I expect him to drop dead talking to me,and he definately won;t see next year."He said"I am not god,I am going by the test results,1st.2nd.3rd.opinions and computer satistics."It took me 3 days to get ready to die.To die is easy.Living is what is hard.I was sent home from work to die.I fought for 18 months to go back to work.I went back for 7 months.I gave it up after all 4 of my doctors said that "it was distructive to my body,and that I could end up bed ridden."Also,I had lost most of my feeling and control below the waist,and have to be pottied like a child.4 of my vertebra are now one,with bolts,rods and bone growth.I had allways been afraid of being helpless,and wanted to die before I got to this condition.I also have 3 disableing types of heart trouble.Congestive,iregular heart beat,and at times,my blood pressure drops very low,for no known reason.I am a diebetic.I have trouble breathing.I cain;t take pain killers,even for back surgery,due to reactions.4 months ago,I found out that I had lympoma with 6 different cell types.I have a lot of weird things going on with my body.I have times that I feel and hurt so bad,that I want to give up.I have times when it is so hard,not to give in,relax and accept the peace and relief of death.I believe this.When it gets bad,I get ashamed of myself.I think of all the people in a lot worse shape than me.Many of them have never known anything else,as they have been that way all of their life.I visited,way before I joined the BOC.I have learned to get out,through each of you.In my way,I am with each of you,sharing your lives,each time I read a post.The happy,the sad,the good,the bad,I feel with each of you.Sometimes I can and do reply.Sometimes,I can not get my thoughts out,or type them,no matter how hard I try.It just comes and goes as it wishes.I have fished all of my remembered life,because I enjoyed it.Even comercial.I have learned that I can still enjoy it through people like you.I know that this a different slant on things.Don;t know if you can use it.I do know that I enjoy life a lot more,because of all of you. peewee-williams

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    wow, these are some great post...........anyone else with any input?? anything is greatly appreciated.............

14. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    any more input?? i gotta start on this today........thanks for all the help