Psycho analysis: Dieter Melhorn

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dieter is the man!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    looks like he got LUCKY.:wink:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! I had originally started this thread as a poll, but I messed it up. I had it reading as, Dieter Melhorn is:

a) A skilled and savvy angler

b) skilled and lucky

c) Lucky

d) A blind squirrel finds a few nuts now and then

e) All of the above

Unfortunately, I did the poll thing wrong. :smile2:

BB in SC

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I hope everyone picks "C"!!!

:wink:

You should have added:

f) a publicity machine!

:crazy:

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    That mite put a lot of fishing pressure on those lakes.. They was a man in the nc mag. earler this year,, Talking about crappie fishing in a small cove on blewett falls, He told how to get there and every thing. Two weeks afther that mag. went out, that place was packed, i couldn't even find a parking spot at the boat ramp. They was 25 boats in a 2 acre cove. All the local people were pist...

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! LOL! I DID actually consider putting e) a publicity hound! I wish my poll would not have screwed up. I was voting b).. :)

BB in SC

8. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I had a friend tell me that fishing is 75% skill and 25% luck :eek:oooh:and the more I fish and the more I learn the luckier I get.:big_smile:
    A blind squirrel might find a nut sometimes but not consistantely, way to go Dieter.:006:

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I wish i was that skilled and lucky all the time:big_smile:

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...That mite put a lot of fishing pressure on those lakes..."

That's a good story about the crappie fisherman. Lucky for us there are a lot more avid crappie fishermen that catfish folks, at least at this point in the game.

That's always something to think about, but worth the gamble.

Something else to think about are how many people view this site, this SC section, and you never hear from them. They never post, never say a word, but they take a lot away and learn a lot. We reach and communicate to a lot of folks that never talk back. That is pretty cool.

There are a lot of folks I run into at the boat ramp and at the store that are after catfish, but think they are the only ones. They do not know about this site, or about the Carolina Catfish Club. I usually have some cards with the Carolina Catfish Club web address and the web address for www.catfish1.com , so who knows how many folks we have lurking on here that I have run into and spoken with.

I view that as an opportunity to educate more folks about conservation and protecting the big fish. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but the more people that are wanting to learn to catch trophy fish means the more that appreciate how hard they are to find and target. Hopefully we can teach these folks to protect the larger fish.

Exposure thourgh television, newspapers, and magazines give us a chance to open the door to eager ears and minds and educate the next generation of catfish anglers.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  11. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    WHEN YOUR GOOD YOUR GOOD. YOU ARE THE MAN :smile2::smile2:

12. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Wateree has Montieth,Wylie has Melhorn:crazy:.I still think they compare notes:smile2:Dieter is Da Catfishing Machine:cool2:He might be lucky at times but this man does his homework and pays his dues like no other.:wink:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll take luck over skill anytime i can get it. Good job and a little publicity don't hurt some times either.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    They say competition makes the best better.

"...WHEN YOUR GOOD YOUR GOOD..."

Net Man, I can thank you and Bowlerman for making me a better fisherman.

Billfish76 and Bluedevil, along with Bigbird, Holmes, and Shrewboy raised the bar in the Carolina Catfish Club tournaments last year and this year. This forced folks like me to fish not only harder, but smarter.

Team Green dragged the points race out to the last event in the Teds Hunting and Fishing series on Lake Wylie this year. They will be tough to beat in the Catawba Catfish Club series this year.

Then in rolls Crappieman this year, a recent bass convert, and starts knocking down tournament wins and some BIG FISH! Another contender in any tournament, and a wealth of knowledge on are lakes from his bass tournament days.

Heck, my new partner GutBucket (Mark Young) is a wealth of knowledge. Another bass fisherman that seen the light...LOL....he has fished area lakes for decades and has a wealth of knowledge that will transfer over well to catching trophy catfish.

Fishing around these folks folks makes everyone better. We share ideas, theories, and strategies. It is really cool to have someone to call up and bounce ideas off of.

What's really nice is that we all know basically where other folks are fishing, what they are fishing with, and none of us worry about someone rolling in on top of us in a tournament.

Why does all this teamwork happen among competitors and folks that don't fish together?

I think the biggest factor is we all know that if one of our buddies catches a monster it will be released back into the lake alive for one of us to have a shot at. That is great to know.

I think we also don't keep too many secrets, and we realize that what works today is not neccesarily what will work next week. So, we don't get too hung up on "secret holes" or "secret baits" or "secret rigs". We realize that sharing information helps to make us all smarter and better decision makers when we are on the water.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <What's really nice is that we all know basically where other folks are fishing, what they are fishing with, and none of us worry about someone rolling in on top of us in a tournament.>

Exactly what I previously said in your other thread. When we are fishin' the same basic spots, with basically the same bait, and fishin' the same basic styles, whomever is lucky enough to hook up with muy grande will win that day's tournament. Do subtle differences in styles have effects on the results? Many times yes, many times no.

BB in SC

16. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
    i think that sometimes it is just who hooks up with a pig but i think more times than not it is the man who says this ain't working and tries something different (through experience) and has that little something that sets him apart.

i can honestly say that after a tournament if i am asked how i did before the weigh in i tell them how i did good or bad i'll tell you the bait and pretty much the spot and what i got in the tank if you ask, BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN 3 PEOPLE IN A BOAT MY PONTOON ALL FISHING THE SAME BAIT ALL USING MY RODS RIGGED THE SAME WAY BUT THE MAN WHO WORKS THE HARDEST (USUALLY ME :big_smile::wink:) BAITING AND RECASTING THE BAIT MORE OFTEN USUALLY WILL CATCH MORE FISH AND BETTER FISH .

I KNOW IT IS FUN BUT usually after a tourney i am wore out :crazy: but in a good way

17. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you dont biat and recast all the time. :smile2:

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with that jeff

19. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Maybe i need to start letting Marvin fish with me, he changes bait so often that i can't keep bait. Me and Seth can catch a dozen and get by, not Marvin:smile2: Blame striper fisherman, don't know why i even take him:big_smile: