PSE Silver Hawk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Jasongonefishing, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    Well got this Bow in a trade about 2 years ago. It has been years since I have bow hunted. Wanted to see if anyone could give me some info on setting it up for this years deer season.

PSE Silver Hawk
    Draw 29
    Peak Weight 55
    Cable 692
    String lenght 100.50
    Min Grain arrow 330
    Has a 6 inch stabilizer and a 5 pin sight. Nothing special not even sure if this is a good bow to hunt deer with. I t has been awhile since I have shot a bow and I have not been keeping up with the times.
    Thanks
    Jay

Attached Files:

2. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    First thing I would do with the bow is try to take it to a reputable bow shop for a tune up. If the bow fits you and it is tuned up you should have no problem taking deer with it. You would just have to build up your muscle memory by shoting it. I would also use a good cut on contact broadhead like a magnus stinger or g5 montecs. I would limit my shots to around 25-30 yards with it. Above all else have fun with it.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    John hit the nail on the head. First, have the bow inspected by a reliable Pro Shop or someone that knows archery! The first thing that goes, or shows wear is the bow string. Need to look for any signs of wear on the string and cables. Especially by the cams. Make sure the limbs show no signs of weakness or cracks. Have it inspected thoroughly and it should be ready to go. Have your draw length checked too. Most guys shoot bows that have to long of a draw. This makes for poor form and can wear a archer out fast. Your shoulders, forearms and back can take to much abuse from this. Accuracy will fall too. Looks like a great bow!! Match the arrows too. I would recommend arrows around the 400 to 450 grain area. Thats complete. Arrow, flectching, broadhead, insert and nock. Going to light of arrow and your risking pentration. Not good!!

Practice light for awhile and practice good form. Maybe 20 shots max at close range. 3 times a week. Feel the shot. Have someone watch you. Don't over do it!! Heck! By this fall with the right amount of dedication, you should GET R' DONE on the animal!
    Perfect practice!! Then your good to go. GOOD LUCK!!:wink:

4. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    John and Mark thanks for the info. I think i am going to do just that going to take it in for a tune up and probally have the strings redone. Thanks again

Jay