Pryor Creek

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've heard a lot of people say it's a good place to fish, but I don't know where?
    We went to Pryor this morning (around 3am) to see what we could find?
    We found the creek, but we couldn't find any place to fish?
    I thought I would stop by the police station and ask them, if they knew a place where I could get to the creek to fish?
    He told me that the creek would not be a good place to fish, because all it had was bottom feeders (well duh, that's what we were looking for) and said I should try Lake Hudson?
    We did and nothing!

Anyway, where is a good place to bank fish Pryor Creek, we looked around and couldn't find anything?

Ken

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are driving that far to go fishing in Pryor Creek, I would suggest hitting the tailraces below the dam of Lake Hudson instead. or you can try below the low water dam a couple of miles below that. It's been quite a while since I have been in the area (haven't been there since I graduated high school at Pryor) so I don't remember the road names you need to use to get there. Someone else can probably point you to the right places though.

Even though I am in Missouri I still try to hit that dam at least once a year when I head through to OK City for the family reunion.

Another spot might be the bridge over the river on 412 East of Chouteau.

3. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have lived around Pryor for years and used to fish the creek religiously. I caught a lot of 5-15 lbs blues. Every so often I would catch some terrible, sick looking fish. I did some research on the web some time ago and found a report about the health of Oklahoma rivers and streams and Pryor Creek was the worst! It turns out that before WWII there was a munitions plant along the creek and they had some kind of dump.
    The cleanest creek in this area according to the report is Cabin Creek. Just south of Vinita by Pensacola. I recently kayaked both creeks and while I didn't see a munitions dump, I did see more trash...junk...crap in Pryor Creek than I've ever seen in my life. Both creeks are very shallow but Cabin Creek really is alot cleaner.
    If you still just want to catch fish in Pryor, I suggest the walking trail along Elliot St. I used to fish under a bridge one mile west of the OLD Wal-mart.

4. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I have tried below the dam at Lake Hudson and didn't do very good and having to carry everything down so far to reach the water wasn't much fun either. Is there another area below the dam thats a little closer to the water?

I didn't know there was a low water dam below there, I guess I'll have to check it out also?

I checked a couple places under the 412 bridge, but I could find place to get to the water. We were there at night and couldn't see anything, so I think we need to check it out during the day?

Ken

5. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info.

We did some fishing around Pensacola a week or so ago and didn't catch anything but a killer turtle and I don't think I could pay my daughter to fish there again, but we might try another spot around there.

Ken

6. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Ken couple years back we fish below Hudson dam, there is a campoground there on 412 before you get to the river i think they charged like $5,oo and you could drive in.\Down the river is many camping spots right on the water great camping and catfish, we wer on a paddle fish hunt and did very well!!