Proud to be a Vet!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bnewsom71, Sep 23, 2009.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am going to go on a little rant - I am trying to put my better half thru college and take care of 2 kids on my income alone, so needless to say, Money is very tight. So, being that I am a vet (served 5 years during Desert Storm era) and I have some medical issues that require a doctors care, I decided to apply for VA medical benifits. I just got a letter today stating that due to some changes in the "qualification standards" - I am not eligible for medical benefits. Are you kiddin' me! I am a vet and I know I deserve the right to medical insurance! Evidently I do not meet the "helpless" status that is required now. Thank you government for lowering the standards for eligibility! :angry: Every day it seems like I would be better of if I was an absolutely worthless human being - then I would be livin' pretty high on the hog, courtesy of the government. :angry: Anyway, thanks for reading my little fit! LOL

And for everyone that is on VA medical - I am not directing ANYTHING towards you at all!! I am glad you get the insurance. I just wish I could also get it.

I bet ya this gets sent to HI! Sorry:embarassed:

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Check a little deeper. It is my understanding that the VA cannot refuse medical treatment so long as you do at least a yearly physical exam with them. Try going to the VA hospital and talking to a representative. Hope this helps.

Ray

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    This letter states that they will not refuse to treat anyone - at standard medical care rates.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Do you have a disability that is service connected? If you do they have to treat you. Check to see if your state has a state Dept of Veterans Affairs. Also if you were in combat you will probably have a hearing loss. Apply for a rating hearing. Don't give up.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Congratulations, you have just received a small taste of Uncle Sam's promises. From the time I enlisted in 1961 until the mid 70's, I was to receive free medical for the rest of my life. Some of you elder statesmen will remember these promises. And let me clue you in, no matter what Congress is telling you about the great new National Health Care Plan, when it gets down to the basics they will have lied to you also. I think only one senator has enough nerve to call a liar a liar.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Brian, thank you very much for your service...and piss on these congressmen/senators that get retirement for sitting on their a$$es for a couple of years.

they steal from you and spend it on beach houses...........more to come from me - stay tuned:big_smile:

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    You sumed it up pretty good Phil. Thats the kinda stuff that will really get all of these vets to really hate the goverment. And all in all - I will survive without their help, I haven't asked for anything from them since I got out in '94. It is just wrong that they will deny ANY vet the benifits of VA medical care, REGUARDLESS of income. Even the rich, if you are a vet - you should get VA medical care, NOT the free care, but just the discounted rates.

8. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    im a vet too. nothin wrong with me but i want to try to get in that also. i believe that all vets should get free medical care, no taxes, and the right to not be screwed around. these liars dont realize we fight for their right to do it. theyre biting the hand that feeds them.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brian,

Take a look at VASRD.

You have to directly tie anything you find in this (Title 10) to a service connection injury/illness backed up by some documentary evidence.

Biggest issue I see when helping out my old Army buds is they didn't receive any type of diagnosis.

They went to sickcall, got some motrin, and it was wrote off as localized pain.

In that period of time MEDPROS wasn't used..

If you have service medical records directly tieing it to service, at the minimum they will rate you 0% and treat you.

I have a few 0% ratings, hemorrhoids and the like.

Its a system that has to be attacked as soon as you get out for maximum effectiveness.

But I have talked to many guys from vietnam era that get rated on the first time through the system.

Ultimately, it boils down to a diagnosis while on active duty, documentary evidence, and the paper trail.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Jason, I totally agree! When you fill out your application and it is classified as Priority 8 - you will be denied enrollment. And no matter what, you should apply for your VA benefits, Do Not let some knucklehead (me) discourage you from at least trying. Ya just never know.

11. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Hey Brian
    I'm a two tour Viet Nam vet and have been lucky as far as my health goes. I haven't had to use the VA but I understand you have to grab your ankles when you apply for service and it's going to get much worse. Phil :embarassed: P.S. By the way nice buck.

12. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I think ya hit the nail on the head right there, "Service Related".

And to quote this here little "memo" they sent me - "This suspension will allow VA to protect the quality of care and reduce waiting times for other enrollees, including those who were disabled by their military services, have lower incomes or who have special medical needs."

13. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    You create the paper trail, they have no choice but to say yes.

In the end they dont care.

If you meet the qualifications its just as easy to stamp yes for them, as it is to stamp no.

No takes extra typing..

Its not there money, and the processors are not health care professionals so they are not worried about doctor workload.

You just have to work within the system and meet the minimum amounts of evidence required.

With all the crap lately about the quality of VA care, they will error on the side of safety, but still be vigilant to prevent getting smacked in audit reviews.

14. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    Well the V.A. sucks anyway. If your a gulf war vet (like me) get a gulf war syndrome check up and I think Irritable Bowel Syndrome might be worth checking out too If you took the nerve gas pills. Talk to an advocate like the vet center or V.F.W. hope this helps.

15. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know this doesn't help you situation but thanks for your service and all others in this post who are currently serving or has served in the past.
    I wouldn't be where I am today without all of you. Your service is very much appreciated!

Matt

16. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thank you and everyone else for the kind words about our vets, comments like that help make all the vets feel good about their service and sacrifices.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Brian I am a vet from two tours in nam. About 5 years ago My wife came down with CO PD and her insurance went south quickly. I dropped mine and saved money to bargain her med bills. Well low and behold I came down bad and I went to the VA. They said no way and I say why. Well uncle SAM has lied to you all the years. I was also service connected but hadn't ask for nothing in return.
    To cut to the chase I had a fellow to tell me to get in contact with the disable veterans of America. They will do the leg work and have the lawyers to fill in the necessary legal work. Like Paul said you have to have a paper trail. They did mine and I told my wife well thats useless. In about three weeks I got a call from the VA wanting me to come in for evaluation. It hasn't stopped yet and All I pay is 8 bucks a month per prescription. You need to use someone that knows the system.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    First let me say I appreciate your service. Next, gov people say how much they appreciate you but they don't care. The gov don't change its standards, it only changes the requirements to meet them. I'm pretty sure that the whole disability thing is subjective. I have a friend who is probably healthier than I am and he is rated 80%. The next thing is having a knowledgeable person from the VA, VFW, or DAV go over your case. Write your congressman and while you are at it, mention returning the retirement pay to what it used to be when it was 2.5% per year. Lots of guys getting screwed now but don't realize it.

19. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Tim, if the documents are there, they are there.

Sadly a Monkey can do it if the evidence is present. I helped out dozens of guys while an IG, but in reality I didn't do anything.

I just helped them present the physical documentary evidence, and it go's right through.

Of course, there is some war gaming that can be done, like selecting the right VA region to submit to. VA Regions that are responsible for the highest usage of assets will always get inspected harder than a region that uses little.

On the reverse, VA centers that get bombarded daily (Georgia Area) will loose the personal connection faster than a small wing located in a place like Anchorage Alaska.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay guys, here is the low down. I had an Air Force Colonel order me to play on their softball team. I was US Army. I did. Broke my ankle sliding into second base. Developed arthritis. Used to love the 5 mile runs we took in the morning, but suddenly I couldn't do them. Still get up in the mornings and hobble around for an hour or two before it loosens up. I Xeroxed all all my medical records before I retired. Are you telling me I can qualify for disability? I am just curious. I have no desire or intent to apply for disability, but maybe somewhere down the road I would need too. (If it gets to where I can't fish, I darn sure would apply. LOL).