Protection of Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by zcat, Aug 19, 2007.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    This is an e-mail that I sent to the ODNR (wildinfo@dnr.state.oh.us). If you agree with my views I would suggest that you e-mail them as well.

I would like to see more restrictive harvest of flathead catfish. This is the largest native fish in Ohio, with not much protection from over harvest.

Why protect more?: Falling nesting habitat, over havest, fish being taking out of public waters and sold to pay lakes, no stocking program, commercial fishing methods for the recreational fisherman like: bank poles, trout lines, and jugs.

What I would like to happen:: 4 fish limit, stocking, have pay lakes show where all flatheads come from, and to greatly limit the number of bank poles, trout lines and jugs. To limit these methoods would make this more of a recreational sport, then a commercial havest method.

This is a truly massive fish that needs more protection.

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i will send it brother. i dont see to many flats out of the ohio river as often as i would like. i catch alot of blues thou. ky own most of the ohio river do u think they might stock the river? we need to check on that as well. that might be are best shot.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thank you for trying to preserve our sport.. i think until they start going on the waters themselves and start seeing the negative things such as bobpoles, trotlines being ran in mass numbers they wont get the idea. i know many people that run lines, and have seen fish hanging by the numbers..many over what the state regulations say are allowed for one day. it makes me sick! maybe if the state record flathead isn't broke in another 30 years they will get the point! it's a sad situation and is only getting worse. rollo

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't know what the rest of you see out on the water. What I see on the Muskingum river is way too many limb lines. Some look like they have been there for months. I can spend a couple of days on a stretch and never see anyone come back and check those lines. To start off with that kind of fishing seems wrong to me. Its lazy to start with and selfish to leave lines out like that with no intention of ever coming back to check or clear them.

I have found and released numerous catfish caught on lines that were left out so long that the fish on the hooks were near starvation, the hooks that held them were rusty and brittle, but the fish were so weak they couldn't break free.

I think a compromise is in order. Instead of the current allotment of limblines they should be scaled back to 5 per person. Then the limbliners will have to adhere to the same constrictions that us R&R guys face. Which is LOCATION and PLACEMENT. I don't begrudge them their fishing technique, I just want it to be a little more even in application. I'm only allowed 2 rods per night, if I'm lucky 3 anchoring spots. So how many 30+ pound fish can I expect to catch on a given night? If I limbline I can have 50, If I get 2 buddies in the boat I can have 150 lines per night. That means I can take control of a 3 or 4 mile stretch of an already overfished river.

I'd rather put my fish finding skills up aginst a 5 limit LINER than a 50 limit LINER.

5. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The state doesn't consider the flathead catfish a sport fish so they will never do anything to protect them . Also they will probaly not stock any of them in our waters anymore. What really makes me mad is your only allowed to fish with 2 rods only. You can jug, trotline and set limb lines basically however many you want. I never see any park rangers checking any of those fishermen using these methods. I use to fish the Wills Creek area for years. The last couple of years I haven't caught crap there. Way to many limb liners keeping every fish they catch to show off to their buddies. Until the state starts making rangers and game wardens to be more on the water at night over harvesting will probably increase.

CC:angry:

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Limblining, trotlining and jugging, although fun, is a quick way to descimate a fish population. It is very discouraging to talk to another angler and discover that they consider flatheads ( and cats in general) as dirty fish. I think the state should cut back the limit to one per week and NONE after a certain weight! This is an ever increasingly popular sport fish. Just a few years ago, only a select few targeted them. My how things have changed. Sadly, though, unless they restart thier stocking program, I fear that even this won't help. The next best thing we can do is educate people on fish friendly ways to treat these animals. As far as policing new regs go, this is made more difficult due to the times of day these fish feed. Personally, I'm sending an e mail to ODNR and voicing my concern over this issue. From my own experience with the state I can honestly say that thier intentions may be good but too often they act way too late on issues like this. Another problem is that thier actions are too often based on numbers on paper not real world stats. How many hard core cat anglers do you think are in positions of authority in the ODNR? See the problem here?

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Brothers i put my two cents into the O.D.R., I Emailed them with a letter stating that i thought i protection be put on these wonderful beauty's, and stiffer punishment for people who break the rules that are set now, and People that throw them onto the bank and let them die.

8. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think private ponds and trotlines are the biggest problems that flatheads have. As long at there are private ponds and you are allowed to use trotlines the numbers will be reduced. If all the fish in private ponds were returned to the rivers and lakes they came from we would not have so much time to be on this site, we would be catching fish.

9. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    :006:I would suggest if you agree with one or all of my views to e mail or write odnr. Or any other ideas to help protect flatheads.

10. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only way to fix this is for the DNR not allow the harvest any flatheads for the next five years. Catch and release only. If you are caught taking a flathead out of the water you are fined and loss of your rights for 5 years.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that would be a nice start, but the common fact i have read is it takes 15-18 yrs. to grow a 30lb. flathead... im sure that depends on the area/state.. 5yrs. would help, but wouldn't solve the issue. i still think lining period should be outlawed and stiff penaltys should be placed the same as are for wildlife such as deer. no one wants fined and it's sad to say..there are still poachers and there would still be liners...but lets cut down on the percentage of them..after all there are still a few of ya that respect the outdoors!! rollo

12. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It does take a long time for a flathead to reach 30+ pounds. I am thinking 5 years is a start and the true sportsman would start to see a difference and then it would continue. I would like to see the harvest of flatheads forever but that will not happen.

I think they should stop the nets in the ohio river. I know the guy who owns a pay pond that has some type of permit to trap in a certian area of the river. I am not sure how it works however; I know the fish go into his lake. Alot of 50 and 60 pound fish.

Its a shame that these fish end up in a zoo pond for people who don't know what it takes to catch a great fish. The thrill and satisfaction to do it right outways the thrill of fishing in a barrel.

Bait stores are making a lot of money also from these pay ponds. I was in a bait store a couple of weeks ago and the guy was selling gold fish for $3.00 a piece! Some of the guys that do catch their own bait are raping small streams then dumping all their bait in the pond.

Anyway its time the DNR does something - people will use lines of some sort however; if it is against the law to take a flathead out of the water we will save a few.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not saying my solution is right or the only one...i like what im reading from you...im glad there are a few of us rod/reel guys left that have paid our dues many of nights. and to see where our sport is going it is a shame! if anything at all is done in the near future, hopefully would be a positive effect for us..rollo

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Could any of us begin to imagine the size and numbers of fish we could catch if the harvest was restricted for 5 years? I could see more 50's and 60's in my future starting on year 6. When it takes them so long to attain 30 or 40 lbs. more care needs to be taken to ensure they can even reach their potential. The way it is now, if you catch a 60 or 70 pound fish, it is that one in a half million that was never caught before.

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think this really needs to be pushed into effect, I went out 3 weeks ago and was watching the late night crappie fishermen catch em and keep em, Seen a lot of small flat heads taken out of one of my favorite lakes, So i really must think some type of action needs to be taken. I mean i once asked the game warden out at paint creek how the flat head bite was doing he said " There's flathead in here?" So action needs to be taken asap

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is the problem i have with all of this. the ODNR is fast to move on revenue fish such as walleye and perch, whether it is the walleye run in the spring or Lake Erie in the summer.. its all about money.. just like the wildlife division. you can call them about issues, unless it involves breaking the law or a fine, they won't respond most of the time. I think they have placed length limits here lately to try to make it look as if they are trying... after all the emails. meetings, etc. on the issue of catfishing and its ethics. i still read of the statistics of most popular gamefish all the time. i think personally catfishing is topping bass in some areas now.. esp. when you add liners.. how many bass liners you know? lol i think until the population of flats deteriates to the point of concern of endangered there is gonna be small changes and no new regulations on this fish!! sure the flathead is a predator to other gamefish!! but, who? regulates the predator of the flathead that well???? rollo