Protecting my home waters...........

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Jul 5, 2009.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I couple weeks back I saw a couple pics at Minnesota Bait on the pic board. It was the same 40+ yr. old mexican fella, with a 60+ lb. blue in each pic. One of them was pushin 70 lb. if not more. I looked at the background in the pics and immediately noticed the background. The pics were taken down at 435. Not long after I left, a BOC brother calls me and I tell him I just left Minnesota, and we were asking each other where we were fishing that night. I told him of the pics I saw. He told me he has seen the guy down there quite a few times, and that he sees the guy snagging down there. I have also seen a few illegals snagging down there before. I also see them throwing the throw nets, and keeping everything they catch. Now if they are keeping the buffalo, carp, gar, asians, and whatever else, I have no problem with that, but when they are keeping a catfish of any sort, thats when I get pissed. These people fish at a spot alot of people dont know thats there. You can see it from the bridge, but not from the rocks when you walk down there. Its a little sandy hill with a drain pipe next to it, that evens out to a little sandy beach right by the water. Ive been out on a boat a few times, and I see them stacked in there. They even have 2 and 3 yr. olds playing right by the water. Very dangerous. Little to no chance of survival if a kid that age falls in and gets swept out in the current chute. Anyway, I looked on the KDWP website and found the Operation Game Thief portion of the site, and they have a full formal complaint that you can fill out. I went through the whole process and included all info I could think of. I then submitted it. A week later Im back at Minnesota, and I notice that the pics are gone. I ask the kid working there what happened to them, and he tells me that Game Wardens came in and confiscated them. Nothing they could do about it. They were deemed evidence. I then tell the kid good, now these guys hopefully will be caught. He starts telling me that someone snitched on this guy, and it was wrong. I proceeded to tell him that it was the right thing to do. I told him that we pay for licenses, spend time catching bait, and sit for hours, just to come up empty handed most of the time, and this guy gets to go down there, and not follow any of the state fishing laws, and illegally snag these trophy fish and take them home. He tells me that, thats how they do it in Mexico. They hand fish, snag, net, whatever means necessary to catch their fish. I said, one problem with that. This isnt Mexico, we have to follow the rules, so do they. Ill be damned if a foreigner, probably illegal, is coming to my home waters and raping a fishery that provides trophy bluecats. Not on my watch. He then comes around from the register and shows me a pic of him with a trout, and says that he didnt have a trout permit, so should he be snitched on and arrested. I said, I dont care about a 2 lb. trout, its stocked in there. (WY. CO. Lake) I said those big blues are trophy fish, and in another 10 yrs., give or take a few yrs. it could be a state record, and these guys are lessening our chances of catching such a trophy. He doesnt agree, and says that if the Warden catches him red handed, then ok, but for someone to snitch on him is wrong. I told him to not confuse this situation with the snitching in the street dope game. Totally different. Any way I feel Ive done the right thing, and I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. Ill now be watching 435 closely. I know the wardens are now, or they wouldnt have taken the pics as evidence. Ive already received indication from another BOC member that the wardens have been down there recently, which is a real good thing. I asked the kid at Minnesota why he was taking this so personally. Was this guy a relative? Is it because your mexican too? He said no. Right before I left, I said well know this. If Im down at 435 and I see someone snagging, and they keep a trophy catfish, Im pushing them in. I hope they can swim. I tried to educate this kid on CPR and told him about the BOC, and I said it will really open your eyes to Trophy Catfishing. I told him that despite popular belief, there is not an unlimited supply of big catfish in the river. So was I right, wrong, or do you not care?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Stick to your guns bro....

Thanks
    -Jim-

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think you done a good thing Keith. I hate seeing people rape our waters. I keep my share of fish to eat from time to time but anything I catch over 5-6lbs goes back in the water for someone else to catch. When I was young I remember seeing guys taking buckets of little flats and channels home. 2 years later in that spot you would be lucky to catch anything. Its pretty sad.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with you 100%. Is snagging catfish illegal where you are at? You should have called immigration on them as well. This is AMERICA we follow the American rules. If they don't pay taxes they don't have a right to be here. SGT Shorey over and out

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yhepp, i agree 110%

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Here is the Operation Game Thief report form. I encourage all of you to use it when you see a similar crime happening to our waters. I remember last year they had to close down Clinton Spillway because people were snagging the big flatheads outta there when they were lettin water out for a long period of time. This has to be stopped. If these people are catching these big trophy cats legally, then there is nothing we can do about it, but when its illegal, there is alot we can do about it. I keep the 5 lb. and smaller cats for the freezer, but these big boys are what Im after. I want a state or world record, that is what ultimately drives me, and these guys are putting a major dent in mine and everyone elses chances.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Ot...n-Game-Thief/Operation-Game-Thief-Report-Form

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    your right all the way... All I have to say is if Minnisota bait is going to employ people that condone illegal fishing at there tackle store then I won't do buisness with them again.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Josh, the owner agreed with me. He was standing right there. The kid working there was about 18 yrs. old, I think he just doesnt know any better, hes not much of a fisherman from what I gather. I just tried to educate him a little bit. Its just alot closer for me to stop by there for a few things here and there, then to run to Cabelas or BP.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    You definitely did the right thing, no question about it. I appreciate what you did, and I don't fish up there in KC very often... it doesn't matter. If someone doesn't want to get snitched on, then they should do the right thing. If that someone doesn't know what the right thing is, don't know the rules or whatever, that has never been an excuse in my book... right and wrong doesn't change because you know it or don't.

I'm actually a little suprised by the bait shop guy's opinion. Every once in a while I go up to KC to fish with Kevin and sometimes we fish the Kaw. Since that bait shop is close to kaw point, we go in and get bait if we need it. I won't be doing any business there anymore, I don't care if this guy wasn't the owner.

10. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Way to go! You did the right thing. The only thing is that the guy with the trout picture was as much in the wrong as the other. It doesn't matter if it's a stocked little trout, sunnies, or a monster blue or flathead. Laws are laws and until somebody comes up with new or better ones, we need to deal with them as they are.

11. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Why i say lucky down here in florida illegals are everywhere an law enforcement cops and game commision want touch them less they commit a felony then they deport them my company has 3 working for them right now and they are on the payroll and they have no drivers lic and i call ins on them they are still there freakin crazy!!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

12. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I was born here in Missouri. I am ½ Hispanic, and ½ white. I know this is not a
    Races thing, wrong is wrong, and right is right. Sir you were right to turn them in.
    I have tried for the last two years to catch a big cat. My day will come.
    But not by casting net nor snagging.
    I say good job. :wink:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You did good. This is a common type of tale where ever those Mexicans are found. It's just not fishing either.... Having stood in line for twenty minutes at tool warehouse and finally being next, a non english speaking Mexican fool (that stunk really, really bad- lol) thought he could step in front of me and put his stuff on the counter to be next. Long story short that went over like a turd in a punch bowl, and he picked his crap up off the floor-- then came real close to eating a knuckle sandwich when he gave me a stupid look. I almost went to jail.......
    Came pulling up to the boatramp one night and saw about a dozen of them non english speaking roaches were sitting on my boat trailer and truck bumper like they owned it all.... another turd in punch bowl scene! They Think America, "land of the free" means do whatever the hell you want to do. There are not enough folks that are willing to say anything to them... and when someone does they give you the stupid look like they don't understand (my a$$) They are just a rude people. Again, good job doing what you did! BTW this is NOT aimed at Mexican Americans.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Keith, paragraphs are your friend.:wink::smile2:
    You done the right thing. Its happenin down here alot too. Illegal lines and snaggin all the time.
    I always hear about the snaggin but I see the lines myself.
    Sad thing is 100 Game Wardens couldnt stop the lines. Atleast with snaggin you have to be there. Much easier to get caught.

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: Yeah Kyle I know. When I go off on a good ramble, the paragraphs go out the window. That was just a big paragraph. :smile2:

16. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Take a picture and turn them in.

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive always got my camera/video recorder in my back pack. If I see this happening while Im down there, it will be recorded. :wink:

18. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Good Job Keith, just takes one person to get the ball rolling, pay taxes and fishing lic for a reason :wink: Not To get off the subject of this but about the mexcian's <illegal's> i use to work for a Roofer in Blue springs MO. I would go out and sell the jobs, my ex employer would "sub contract" more verbal to two mexcians that run illegal crews in the kansas city area they work for a lot of major roofing company's the point of this is my ex employer rented a home to them over in independence it was raided about a year and half ago for supposly selling drugs was all over the news, that week i had to go over there and clean it up they were livin 30 mexican's deep in there, trash up to my knees, while going thro all thier stuff i found a stack of wire transfer's to mexico added it up to over a million dollars :eek:oooh: yea i was out selling these jobs getting paid dirt cheap just above min wage, no ins risking my ass on steep roofs for nothing but to pay my bills while they are makin all this money and my ex employer was making a huge profit, givin they work hard for it but thats just one house in one city with just 30 mexcian's in probbly a 9 month period yep something really wrong with america. i did come up with about 600 bucks :wink: No reason to turn them in all they will do is run them for wants and warrents and then drop them off out in the cuts even if that :angry:

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    next time ya go in MB&T let em know that the reel i baught will be the last thing i get from em. ive spent alot of money in there over the past 3 years but no longer. bad customer relations on the owners part for allowing this ignorant kid to voice his views & position on this subject especially condoning illigal activities toward their customer base. do they know what a boycott is ?? :eek:oooh: i dont give a dam what race he is, i think he should no longer be employed there. :angry: i may start makin signs to walk outside their store with. there are more law abiding fisherpersons than illegal fisherpersons (<-- my attempt at bein "P.C." :smile2:) so if it were to happen it wouldnt go unnoticed. JMO, i aint got 2 cents

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    This can quickly get into a conservation that should be in the HI room, but I know what your saying Mike. They open the flood gates thinking its gonna put money into our economy, when in fact, they send 90% of their money back to their families. I cant blame them for that, but our leadership in Washington needs to do something about this. Citizens that have their family roots here going back 200 yrs are suffering cause all the jobs are being given to these people cause they will work for 1/2 the wage we will. Its horrible. This whole thing is benefiting some powerful people in Washington, or it wouldnt be happening at all. I have read somewhere before that Bush allowed this to happen to pay back all the big companies that funded his presidential campaign. I dont doubt it for one second.