Protect your pets

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tinboat, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Tinboat

    Tinboat New Member

    Messages:
    207
    State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Yesterday I emptied a large peanut butter jar. My dogs love peanut butter so I gave them the jar to lick. My girl dog Missy got to the jar and being as her head is a little smaller than the boys, she was able to shove her head in and get the jar stuck over her head. She tried to get it off and couldn't. I tried to help but she was fighting me. She soon ran out of air, and I was able to grab her and cut the jar with my pocket knife ( yes, I'm one of those evil guys who carries a knife) and allow her to breathe again. Had I not been paying attention she could have suffocated. From now on, the jar gets cut open before they get to lick it.

    A careless unthinking act could have easily turned to trajedy,so if you love your little companions, watch out for them. I will from now on.
     
  2. TDawgNOk

    TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

    Messages:
    3,365
    State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Glad you were able to save her.

    Those dang females are always getting their heads in places they shouldn't be

    LMAO
     

  3. Gonzo_Joe

    Gonzo_Joe New Member

    Messages:
    29
    State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    Glad that your dog is okay. That is a fantastic idea about cutting the jars open before letting the dogs lick them. I think I'll start doing that, just in case one of my mutts decides to get over-zealous with one.
     
  4. GaryF

    GaryF New Member

    Messages:
    3,649
    State:
    O.P., KS
    Dennis

    Glad to hear your dog is ok. About a year back, our little dog got into some chocolate overnight - she climbed up on the coffee table and raided Tiffany's stash. We woke to find her shaking and throwing up. She was fine after spending a day at the emergency vets, but it put a scare in us. Besides jars, some drink cups are about the size of a dog's head, too, so be carefull about leaving those where a dog can get to them.
     
  5. truck

    truck New Member

    Messages:
    156
    State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Glad your dog is ok,when I first started reading about her head getting stuck I thought you were going to say you had to break the jar with a hammer(was thinking glass jar)
     
  6. Mutt

    Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    18,947
    State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sure glad to hear your dog is ok. our poodle one day jumped into the live well while out on the boat thing is i had my back turned and the lid shut scared me looking all over for him. lol sure glad he barks loud.
     
  7. TDawgNOk

    TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

    Messages:
    3,365
    State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

    Thats why I like bigger dogs.
     
  8. beeheck

    beeheck New Member

    Messages:
    631
    State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey, Mutt, I think your post should be over in the "Your favorite catfish bait" thread, keeping your dog in the live well like that. lol
     
  9. Mutt

    Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    18,947
    State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    lol
    well i think he wanted lunch is what it was i use the front live well in my bass boat for a ice chest lol hmm using live poodles for bait hmmm.
     
  10. three_rivers

    three_rivers New Member

    Messages:
    688
    State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Tony, the bigger they are the more time they want to spend in the bait cooler with the skipjack. Let me tell ya the ride home is a rough one. It goes in one end and the god awfuless smell out the other. Thank god for windows.:crying:
     
  11. FS Driver

    FS Driver New Member

    Messages:
    2,323
    State:
    swansea,illinoi
    our bostons momma dog got her head stuck in a large SUEBEE chicken and dumplings can and when they found her she was near death but thankfully
    she pulled out of it (death that is).
    they had to pry the dang can off .her head swelled up i guess from lack of oxygen and getting freaked out.
    glad yopur little dog had you close by could have been an aweful result if you hadnt gotten there in time.
    good idea about cutting the jars open.
    id say smash them dang cans or be sure they cant reach them.
     
  12. vlparrish

    vlparrish New Member

    Messages:
    1,276
    State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    When our dog was a pup, we left a bottle of chidren's tylenol sitting out on an end table. Needless to say she got into it and ate a few pills. They made her really "drunk". Luckily she pulled ot of it. Vern
     
  13. river scum

    river scum New Member

    Messages:
    3,474
    State:
    hooterville indiana
    while on vacation in fl. a couple weeks back. i herd a story from my cousins buddy. he had a toy chiwawa(sp) in the yard and a hawk came down and ate the poor thing.
     
  14. Katmaster Jr.

    Katmaster Jr. New Member

    Messages:
    4,644
    State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You are very right, I am glad you saved your pet!:)
     
  15. FishMan

    FishMan New Member

    Messages:
    2,293
    State:
    Tennessee
    Dennis I love my little dogs. I have 3 miniture pinschers and they are like my family. Posting your mistake for all to learn from was a wonderful thing to do and shows me you understand how important the love of our pets is to some of us. Good for you Dennis

    Danny
     
  16. blackhorse83

    blackhorse83 New Member

    Messages:
    1,008
    State:
    missouri
    Glad your dog is ok, my Labs also love peanut butter, what I do is fill a retrieving kong with the stuff and let'em have it, they will stay busy with it till they clean it slick.
     
  17. Little Mac

    Little Mac Active Member

    Messages:
    1,828
    State:
    NW Arkansa
    Dang Tin, I guess carrying a pocket knife is a good thing.............:) I sure hate to hear about Missy doing that, but she is the toughest dog I have ever seen, Used to bow up to my pitbull and not back down !!!!!! I'm Glad she came back, Im sure that put a scare in ya. Later Mac