Protect your home from FIRE

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. TDawgNOk

    TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

    Messages:
    3,365
    State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Subject: House Fires - PLEASE READ


    -Received from a friend who is in the property insurance business. It is well worth reading. This is
    one of those e-mails that if you didn't send it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for not
    reading it. The original message was written by a lady whose brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this
    past week.


    Their house burned down.. ..nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause
    of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.
    She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her, "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures". Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Plug-In air freshener, in the bathroom.

    The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is THIN plastic. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed.

    When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on.

    That is a warning sign . The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many places that have been burned down due to them.


    PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. NOT ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE'S HOUSE, BUT IT
    COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE
     
  2. Dano

    Dano New Member

    Messages:
    13,712
    State:
    Texas
    Thanks for putting that up. I have said that to my wife many times. She has them things all over. They do go dim and then bright again. Plus they dont do much for order unless you place it right under your nose.

    Time to trash em out.
     

  3. Cheryl

    Cheryl Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,010
    State:
    TN
    Tony,
    I have read that before and it was a good reason to get rid of the one I was allergic to and told the person that put it up why I did it.

    Now my question is: What about the plug in pest deterrers? I found a great deal on 8 in a pack and have had them in the house for over a year now. Anyone know anything about them?
     
  4. Mark J

    Mark J New Member

    Messages:
    9,407
    State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Anything you plug in the wall and leave plugged in is a potential threat.
    A few years ago the wife picked us up two nice brass lamps to go by our bed.
    One Saturday morning I was lazy so I decided to watch some tv before I crawled out of bed. The lamp that wasnt even on beside me burst into flames.
    I was left snatching the lamp from the wall socket, running through the house and pitching the flaming inferno into the yard.
    Had I not been right there beside it and it being a Saturday there is no doubt we would have lost our home.

    With things being made overseas these days with the cheap parts, leaving anything plugged in is a risk.

    Some simple things for the homeowner to check once in awhile are.
    Run the backside of fingers down the face of the breakers in your electrical panel with the cover still ON it.
    If you feel any heat you should contact a certified electrician to check it out.

    If you have outlets in your home that periodically work have it checked.
    You have a loose connection some where. Loose connections cause heat and wind up as fires.

    Stay away from the cheap lamp cord type drop cords.
    The biggest problem with these is people exceed the ampacity on the cord itself. It melts and starts a fire.

    Check all your lightbulbs. I get calls all the time where people want more light in a room so they stick a 100 watt bulb in a socket rated for 60 watts.
    The end result is excessive heat that will cook the insulation off the wires behind the fixture in your ceiling or attic.

    This week I had toaster. I decided to make some toast so I threw two slices of bread in it and a minute later it was smoking and burned my toast. So I cut the darkness all the way down, same thing.
    It went out the door banished from my house and destined for the landfill.
    Get rid of suspect appliances.

    Now this is the biggy. We are operating on computers here and hopefully all of use surge protectors to plug all these gizmos into.
    DO NOT leave these things laying on the floor. Mount them on the wall, preferably a sheetrock or plaster wall as it is a fire rated material and away from combustible material like drapes , carpet and paper.
    A power surge strip can become damaged from a surge and still be operable and you never know it causing it to generate heat.
    I have a friend that was working in his backyard and someone hollered at him and pointed to his house. His wife and kid were asleep upstairs. It burned 80% of his home before it was put out. That surge suppressor was on the kitchen counter with a laptop plugged into it.
    They were lucky with no personal injuries but were displaced for months from their home.
     
  5. olefin

    olefin New Member

    Messages:
    3,908
    State:
    Texas
    Interesting reading HERE about that same Internet FW. Seems it's been circulating for years. I saw it couple years ago.

    Glade manufacturer says it's a rumor.
     
  6. Cheryl

    Cheryl Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,010
    State:
    TN
    Thanks Mark! I printed those out to take home and check them out.