Pro's & Con's

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ammo warrior, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I posted a question a few weeks ago about getting a 14ft. boat/motor & how it might handle on the river. Well, yall were very helpful with your ideas, suggestions and warnings. I have decided to scrap the 14ft. boat idea. I am now planning on getting a boat a little more to my liking. Please take a look and let me know the pro's and con's. The description of the boat is below. Thanks :cool2:

1978 Fisher Marine
    20ft long and 54in wide
    1983 70hp Mercury with tilt and trim
    2yr old 55lb minkota maxxum bow mount trolling motor
    3yr old Lowrance 525cDF(color, dual frequency, 4000watts, gps)
    8 driftmaster duos (4 each side mith adjustable track)
    4 Troll and Stow rod holders on back
    large front deck with anchor storage and large storage under deck.
    great tandeem axle trailer.
    2 batteries less than 6 months old
    beilge pump
    running lights
    anchor lights
    removable 85gallon livewell

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Was that the boat that was posted here on the BOC? Sure looked like a sweet deal to me! You will be much happier with a 20 foot boat, rather than the 14. The only con I see with the description you posted is the width. A 54 inch floor width sure seems skinny for such a long boat. My 20 foot boat ha an 85 inch beam and about 74 inches in floor width. That said, if you are getting a good deal on the boat you posted, it should serve you VERY well.

Bill in SC

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    robert that sounds like a great boat.like bill said the 54 sounds a little narrow for a 20 footer,but i don't think that would be a problem.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    im with Bill and Preston on this Robert. thats three votes, how many you need before we hit the water?:big_smile:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Like Bill said!! it seams a bit skinny for the length. It kind of depends on where you'll be fishing too. I fish out of a 48" bottom width 16'er that serves my purpose on 13-1500 acre lakes and rivers. Being it's 20' long it will ride pretty good when underway. But if the $$$'s is right it will serve ya well.

6. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    There is nothing wrong with the width of this boat regarding its length. Other than most boats this length are wider. It will perform fine.

I would want a signed statement from owner regarding how dry this boat is while on the water.
    I also would not purchase with out dropping the lower unit & checking the pump & drive splines for rust & wear.
    New parts are readily available for this motor. But depending on what you need it can get pricey quick!!

Oh don't know what part of the Missouri River you are fishing but a 12- 24 volt #55 Trolling motor would be a bare minimum for around here.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I beleive that boat will suit your needs just fine and is WAY better than the 14ft idea.

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    The seller is asking $3500 for the boat w/tandem trailer. It was posted in the BOC a couple weeks ago. I plan to upgrade the trolling motor at some point. The only reason that I think that the price may be appropriate is because it already set up the way I would like.
    Lotsa good info here brothers...thanks :cool2:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It is ABSOLUTELY worth that with the color depth/gps, Driftmasters, two practically new batteries, etc. Hell yeah! Buy it!

Bill in SC

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Robert, if it's fills your wants and needs that's all that is necessary. I don't care if it has a kitchen sink on it you're gonna spend money "personalizing" it:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2: If you're ever up in my neck of the woods just holler and we'll riverize it right. Stay safe and aspire to inspire!!!:wink:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Robert is it in your drive way yet? Should make you a fine boat.

12. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    if thats what you like then go for it....:0a23:

13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Not yet but I'm a workin on it...keep your fingers crossed :roll_eyes:

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Sounds like a good deal to me... and it fits ya just right... GPS as well....Sure like my Lowranace

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Hey Larry, that sounds lika good idea. I would like to hook up and hunt some sowbellies sometime. :cool2:

16. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Just took a look at the boat, I think that would make you a great starter boat, good luck, hope it all works out for ya, I know how it is looking for a boat, All I can say if it is meant to be then it will be your before ya know it.

Chad