Pros & Cons of using a fishing leader

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Ms. Whiskers, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a35:I've been reading several magazine articles to get useful tips on landing big cats. I've never used any fancy rigs, just sinker/swivel/hook. What is the benefit of using a leader? I saw how they use a barrel swivel to connect a leader, but I need to know when I should try it, what kind of rig, & so on. I don't want to sound dumb, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. The biggest flathead I've gotten so far is 25". I would be thrilled to land a monster. I just bought a 7' med/heavy action Ugly Stik w/20lb. mono test. I got 3/0 circle hooks, #3 swivels, & assorted split shots. Any "pro" info would be :0a31:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Pro's - you can use a heavier line for the leader if you are fishing in a lot of snags that way it will take more abuse than your main line

Con - you have more knots to worry about

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    MS

I use 50# spiderwire"Steath" which has very little abrasion resistance. I use a 50# mono leader which does have abrasion resistance.

If u r using 20# mono and the fish wraps u up and the line is in rocks, metal. wood ,etc. it may go through the 20# mono n lose the fish.

Last time I had a fish on in the Ohio River it had me wrapped up real good. It took me about 20 min before it freed itself by me pulling than letting him pull on its own...20# Flathead.

Good Hunting MS

:wink:

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sorry about the spellin, LOL.

:eek:oooh:

5. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I've caught bigger flatheads on trotlines, but my biggest[and only] on rod and reel was 1lb. I know bigger is nice but 25" is nothing to sneeze at.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 50 pound power pro with a 50 pound big game mono leader. the leader gives my rig the stretch it needs, as braid doesn't stretch and can cause the hook to tear out of a fish's mouth. i have never lost a fish on this rig, but it's for the flatties and big blues. for channels i use the same type rig, but 30 pound braid and a 20 pound leader. hasn't let me down yet.
    sounds like you have the rig and the drive, looks like you're on your way!
    good fishin to ya!

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Most every situation calls for a different rig. If you are bank fishing and just tightlining just slide the sinker up the line followed by a bead of some sort. Then tie on a barrel swivel and 1 to 2 feet of some heavy mono. I use 50# for my leader on just about everything. Then tie on your hook and bait and you are good to go. Depending on the brand the 3/0 circle is a bit small. Daichi hooks run very big compared to other circles and a 3/0 would be fine most ofthe time. That said if you are using say Gamakatsu or Eagle Claw you might want to go to a 6/0 or larger.
    One thing I will encourage you to do Ms Whiskers is read,read,read this forum and practice,practise,practise. You will eventually find just the right rig for your style of fishing and the target species.

Cheez

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The only time you want to use a leader is when you want the last few feet of your line to be somehow different than your mainline, but there are lots of reasons for having one:
    1. As already stated, a heavier leader provides more abrasion resistance.
    2. You may want to use some kind of expensive flurocarbon or special mono for a leader, rather than having to spend the money to buy it to entirely spool your reel.
    3. I like using a leader with any kind of braided line. When using an expensive superline, my leader is a little lighter than the superline, so that when I get hung up and have to break off, the break occurs at the leader, and I don't lose any superline.