Propped outboard in the river?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by shortbus, Apr 24, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    My dad and my brother both say you HAVE to use a jet motor in all the rivers I fish. They say everyone else that runs the rivers uses them. Well I'm poor and can't afford a jet motor. I'm 99.9 percent sure that not everyone that runs the rivers I fish uses a jet. I will say that in places these rivers are fairly shallow with lots of rocks in places. I would say the shallowest part I have seen is maybe 3 to 3.5 feet deep. I don't want to haul *** up and down the river but would like to go out on it. Am I going to trash my lower unit the first time out like my family says? These rivers are the wabash,missisinewa and tippicanoe in indiana.

2. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Wabash can be run with your outboard at normal pools. We do it all the time. During late summer low water periods it can be tricky. But lots of folks run outboards on the upper wabash.
    Arron

3. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I only use a propped outboard. no offense to jetdrive guys but i hate them for the reason of being horribly parasitic on the power. it isnt the most important thing but i like power as much as the next gearhead and jetdrives just dont offer like prop. it's also alot in the boats load, hull, etc as to what you can clear. i have a little 13ft norris craft i use trout fishin in the clinch right by norris dam and i can get around even when they arent generating in it...its close sometimes but i make it.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I guess you can use a jet boat where ever you want, but I always thought they were for the rivers in the Pacific Northwest. Course I always thought airboats were only used in Florida until I rode one on the Cimmaron River in Oklahoma. People used regular out boards years before the jet boats were even on someone's drawing table... don't know why they can't be used now. It is a learning experience. If your wrong, you learn a lesson and get a new lower unit out of the deal. Right?

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You didn't say how big the boat motor are. Carry spare shear pins. One time on the white river I helped out a guy standing by road. His boat was tied to a tree and he didn't have any more shear pins. I gave him a heavy coathanger and off he went about 50 feet. lol just in case always have a paddle in the boat . you know what htey say about up the river without a paddle or oar. catch ya later.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd say to weld up a prop protector. You can buy them, but they aren't cheap. I've seen prop protectors as simple as fastening the head of a pitchfork onto the lower unit so that it would hit first and cause the motor to raise up over the rock or stump.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Now thats a good idea!!! Do they bolt to the scag or where the lower unit bolts to the mid-section? The shear pin idea is great to. I might just look for a spare lower unit.

8. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    "simple as fastening the head of a pitchfork onto the lower unit "

Just DON'T lock your motor down and you gotta be particular about backing up.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would think that if you just took your time and watched what you where doing you would be fine. They use a lot of jet boats in southern missouri in the shallow rocky rivers. Then again you said it's 3 - 3 1/2 feet deep in the shallow parts. My 18 foot boat would run that no problem.

10. trlrtrash

trlrtrash New Member

State:
    prairie du chien wi.
    during the middle of the summer months, the backwaters of the mississippi, where i fish get very low sometimes 2 to 2.5 ft. i just put my motor on the first notch tilt and pick my way thru...it is frustrating, however, when one of those jet jobs fly by me at about 40mph and beat me to my fishing spot...

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I bought a 9.9 (shortshank) Evenrude outboard new in 1975. Absolutely the best investment I've ever made. I've had that little guy in the Mississippi, Illinois, Spoon, Rock, Missouri, Snake, Willamette, and Columbia rivers. Thought about trying it just once in the Pacific but chickened out. First, it pushes a 14ft. xtra wide, extra deep, Monarc john boat. When the wind is howling and the surf is up on the big rivers I use my 19ft. On a normal day, I'd fish it anywhere. When you don't have to be there in 3 minutes, and only 18in. water to get you to that hole, I'll go. My motor also has sheer pin replacement but I've never changed one since I've owned it. I have two pins taped inside the cover just incase. The last time I use the motor each year, I pull the gas line off while the motor is still running, let it run till it dies, take it off the boat and put it in the basement. I've never pulled the start rope more than twice to start the new year. I wish I could say the same about his big brother on the 19ft.
    Don

12. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was running our river this weekend some spots were reading 1.5-1.7 in depth, as long as your not stupid about it you can go just about anywhere with a prop that you could with a jet..

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Shortbus I fish the river most all the time , although the river dosent run that shallow that I fish.alot of tributaries off it do that run between 4ft.yo 18 inches and I fish out of a 18ft. lund alasken. I just tilt the moter up and take it easy and most always I make it without any problem but I wouldent try it if I had an extra man or two in the boat. Like was mentioned befof carry an extra sherepin. Bigcatman0816.

14. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm not sure if my motor uses a shear pin. My dad said it prolly uses a slip hub? Something with rubber in it. The motor is an 87(?) 25h mariner. would it be a good idea to put some kind of electric tilt/trim on the boat to get the motor up fast?

15. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I know it goes without saying but you can go places with a jet you can't go with a prop. That said, If you are careful and pick you way, you can go places with a prop outboard placed in shallow water drive that you wouldn't think possible. A few keys:

Know how far below your boat your lower unit hangs.

Know how deep your boat sits in the water at rest.

Add these two numbers together and you know how shallow you can run safely without putting the motor in shallow water drive.

It can be done and it can be done safely. There are places in the river I fish that during low water levels in summer I go over some water as shallow as two feet. Just be careful and watch what your doing.

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know a guy who done that to a 15hp mariner, worked really good too! he took a pitchfork, bent it enough to protect the prop, and welded a bracket to the top and attached it to the bolt that holds the lower unit on. worked way better than my "Macs river runner".

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shortbus:

I think you'll be fine. Like some of the other guys have already said, don't lock the motor down & be careful about backing up. A couple years ago, a coworker & I ran two 16 ft john boats with 25 hp motors up & down the Tippe River up in Kosciuosko County for several miles. Had to get out & push through a few riffles but we can go really shallow. Honestly, in lakes & streams we beat the crap out of lower units trying to get the job done and I've been pleasantly surprised how resilient they are. Plus, aluminum props are forgiving...they get chewed up after awhile but its better than the alternative.