Proposed OSHA Regulations on ammunition

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by samh, Jul 7, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've already written my Senators and Representive and OSHA about this.

This is offf the National Shooting Sports Foundation web site:

Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens
    Firearm and Ammunition Industry

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

Click here for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own letter, the reference line must read as follows:

RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
    Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on
    "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866

Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference section of your letter).

Please e-mail the letter by visiting: http://www.regulations.gov and following the submission instructions.

http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=common/PR/&PR=BP070207.cfm

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just completed sending fax to OSHA and will send faxes to Pryor, Lincoln and Ross.
    Also will email and call them.

Sam, thanks for bringing this up!

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    what the heck is goin on wiht all this gun controll bull crap......

does anyone by chance know where i could get the phone number to indianas
    senators...

cuz i wanna call em

and also osha's phone unmber

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
  5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sam,

What is OSHA claiming is the reason for all this? Are they alleging that employees in these plants are at great risk because of current procedures?
    Just wondering what documentation they're using to substantiate this change... Thanks for the info! We're not hunters, but this sure does sound fishy!

6. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Sounds Like a backdoor way to get guns out of the common folks hands to me.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sometimes OSHA reasons make no sense.

When I worked I was involved in running a test to burn transformer oil that contained PCB. If you don't know about PCB, it has been declared by EPA to be highly toxic. PCB production was banned in the 70s due to the high toxicity.

We were to mix a small quaintly of PCB oil with fuel oil going to a high pressure boiler. Hopefully the PCB would be completely burned. We had analyzing instruments set up to check the boiler flue gas to be sure the PCB was destroyed. Before this test was conducted we had notified EPA, OSHA and Texas Air Control so they could witness our procedure. The PCB oil was in 5 gallon containers (buckets) and we used a small pump to inject it into the boiler fuel oil.

The test was a success. No PCB survived the high temperature. We all were proud.

The transformer oil is not what I would call too flammable, it would have to be heated several hundred degrees before it would burn. After the test in about 3 months I was notified from OSHA that they had fined our company for not having grounding cables on the PCB buckets! That was outrageous!

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Thanks, Dayton. That does sound pretty ridiculous and I've heard of many other instances of control freakery on the part of OSHA... so I guess it's too much to hope for that once in a blue moon they may actually have a valid point or two. :eek:oooh:

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    And here we just finished the 4th, with fireworks sales every two blocks. It's the 9th of July an still can't sleep for all the crap being set off. My dog has a nervous tick, an so do I. I saw huge catches of explosives at parking lots, out of business building lots, an even service station lots. Yeah, gas an black powder. That will make ya buy yer gas down the block. It's like every other government agency; they're everywhere except where ya need em. Also in the works is talk of outlawing lead for projectiles in ammo. What's that gonna do to the 22LR ? We don't have to worry about terrorist. Our own damn government is more of a threat to us than any foreign dimwits.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats all we need OSHA getting into the mix ,why cant the gov. just stick to politics, but wait IT IS POLITICS theyre trying to stop the manufature of small arms ammo to stop us from shooting people . DUH.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Another thought I had; War is our biggest industry now. Bigger than the auto or anything else. What they gonna do, exempt military production ? Kids gonna have to account for spent rounds? Police their spent brass. Somebody please put one into the head of this agency so we can hear the echo "cross the fruited plains". I could be full of it, but if memory serves me, it was over 5000 rounds spent for every enemy casualty in Nam. We gonna out source our ammo production to a third world country so our kids can wonder if the primer is gonna work or the round chamber; so we can save a lil money? They don't even know how many lost their lives as we were using the wrong powder in the 5.56 for the "Mattie Matel" when we went from the M14 to the M16......Somebody needs to wake up.
    :angry:

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's exactly right Jeff. If they can't take away your 2nd Amendment Rights, they'll just remove what to fill the chambers with.

Once we lose the ability to obtain ammunition, we're right where thiz government wants us to be, more helpless & defenseless than we are now.

When are people going to get their fill of this crap???

Smitty

13. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    ammo and powder need direct contract with a flame to blow up, gas has fumes that will cause it to blow no direct contract needed, maybe we should require the same reg. for gas production and storage, maybe that would wake people up to how stupid OSHA is. When you write your rep. ask them if they would like to write up a bill to protect us from gas production and storage. Think how many people that would affect.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What a load of crap! It's no wonder people can't afford things anymore. We just keep regulating everything out of reach. Life is hard, jobs are tough, not everyone will survive to reach 90+. Some will die, some won't. If OSHA had it's way, we'd all live in bubbles. What's next? Should all hunters wear football helmets in case a branch falls out of a tree?

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Currently I'm proposing that hunters wear the jousting armor or an approved chain mail suit during bow season and during gun season a mandatory switch to kevlar body armor.
    Its still under OSHA review.

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I know how to make blackpowder.

17. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    This is the craziest thing I have heard of. I guess the liberals are going to get to us one way or another.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the post, I'll do my part.

19. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Also, hunters must carry a tazer for those 1 in 100,000,000 chances of being phsically attacked by a deer.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They dont need a reason if they cant pass laws to take our rights away they will pass procedures in departments like osha to take them away!!! They will regulate the small gun shops out of business. Dont need a law then!!!:angry: