Proposed Jug Fishing Changes

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Jun 12, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here is what we came up with at the Carolinas Catfish Club meeting on Wednesday:

The best approach would be to require that; the name and address must be attached to each jug fished, and the person fishing the jugs must maintain visual contact with the jugs while they are fished.

This does a couple of important things. First, it makes the person using jugs responsible for the jugs if they are lost or left behind. Second, it makes each jugger work a little harder by taking the time and putting forth the effort to label each jug. This is the same requirement placed upon trotlines and fish traps. Last, it does not allow you to leave the jugs on the water unattended.

If a jug is found by a boater or wildlife officer and it is not properly marked, then it can be immediately recognized as liter and can be discarded.

Under the current law I can discard my two liter bottles in the lake by attaching a string with a hook on it. I know this sounds silly, but look at the law. NOTHING requires that I ever have to take the "jug" out of the water!! :eek:oooh:

Crazy huh?

If the NCWRC was smart they would require a "jug permit" for each jug and charge $1.00 for each permit. The permit would have to be attached to the jug. Don't ya think the juggers would find each jug of they had to pay a buck for each permit????? :smile2:

Thoughts? :wink:

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    There are many good aspects to the proposal, but I think there are aspects that might need more work.

Labeling of the jugs sounds very good, along with the disposal of unlabeled jugs.

Having jug permits with the same ID number as the fisherman's license sounds reasonable.

The visual contact rule might need some work; I don't know how you can maintain contact with multiple jugs while you're pulling one in.

"unattended" might need further clarification since people normally set the jugs a good distance apart from each other. Also, this rule would change some current practices.

-- Rich

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the repsonse Rich!

"...this rule would change some current practices..."

That is our hope. The juggers will have to adapt and change things around, but it will be for the better in the long run.

Most juggers are courteous and respectful, but there are the "bad apples" that ruin it for everyone in any group. Our hope that more clearly defined laws will eliminate the non-fishing communties arguements for banning jugging in the future.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think a 1.00 permit is a little steep when most juggers use about 25 jugs. A permit for 10.00 for up to 25 jugs sounds o.k

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I agree with them 3 Dieter, "if the NCWRC was smart" I'm gona leave that alone. I still think there should be a season (winter) or a time slot (dark til dawn) no other fishermen take up that many acres of lake for personal use. and that is what it is when they put them out. What you reckon someone would say if I set up my boat drifting.... and then drifted into someone? but I can be anchored and 4-5 jugs come by and mess me up. and it's perfectly legle. in fact, I can get in trouble for pulling the jugs out around my anchored boat. I really don't dislike juggers, I have some friends that jugg, but I also fish badin primarly and it has a problem. If the NCWRC was smart just be fair

lysmart

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Catgirl brought up a point that I had overlooked, and apparently we all did not realize at the meeting last night. The "new law" reducing the amount of jugs you can fish to 70 per boat, also includes a requirement for the name and address to be attached to each jug. I guess we were all preoccupied with the 32" limit on blues and forgot the details of the other proposals on the table.

The new law goes into effect 1 July 2008.

7. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    wyilecat is the new law on the wildlife web site yet
    thanks

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with what you said Wyilecat. Heres one you forgot. If they jug at night they have to have glowsticks on them, so other boaters can see them. If caught without the glowsticks I suggest heavy fines. That would discourage the ones the don't agree with the regulation.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Randy, I did not find the new law on the website. The old regulations are still being posted there and probably will for another few weeks. There is a thread there that shows that the law passed and that it goes into effect 1 July 2008.

10. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    This is what it said on the site
    Using Trotlines, Set-hooks, and Jug-hooks​
     ​
    Trotlines, set-hooks and jug hooks may be fished under any
    license that authorizes basic fishing privileges.

​
    It is unlawful to use live bait with trotlines, set-hooks or jug-hooks.

​
    Trotlines (a line with multiple hooks) must be set parallel to the
    nearest shore in all public waters, where their use is authorized.

​
    Each trotline, set-hook, and jug-hook shall have attached the
    name and address of the user legibly inscribed.

​
    Each trotline shall be conspicuously marked at each end, and
    each set-hook shall be conspicuously marked at one end with
    a prominent flag or floating object.

​
    Metal cans and glass containers cannot be used as markers.

​
    The number of jug-hooks thatmay be fished is limited to 70 per boat.

​
    Trotlines, throwlines, set-hooks and jug-hooks must be fished
    daily, and all fish must be removed daily.

​
    Untended trotlines, set-hooks and jug-hooks, as evidenced by
    the absence of bait, may be removed from the water by wildlife

enforcement officers.

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    The FIRST time I wrap a prop with an unlighted jug, the fine will be the least of his concerns!

And 70!!! Jugs???? How is that not commercial fishing??? That's rediculous!
    20 is more than enough to keep up with properly...

12. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina

Does the glowstik law apply throughout NC or is it on specific bodies of water? Im asking due to the fact that I was out on Badin @ night recently and there were a ton of jugs on the water.....NONE OF THEM HAD GLOW STICKS. Some did have reflective tape.

13. Littlejack

Littlejack New Member

State:
    nc
    I would look for that jug law to change pretty soon . I already know of one enviormental group that is collecting juggs that these guys are leaving out unattended on the yadkin chain. we met a couple of them in canoes last sat. up near the little falls dam on tillery. they are planning to make a big news splash with how many they have collected. They have a state senator who is on their team and is going to help them. They said their group has collected over a thousand in only 5 months, and only about a third have any ID on them.

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Jack for that info. Does that group have email address or someone I could contact. It would be inreference to collcting jugs. I do fish Falls dam alot where some of the jug collection is going on. Thanks.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would hope once they go public with their jugs, they are issued a citation for each jug in their possession which was marked in accordance with your state laws. Seems they think they are above the law and it should not apply to them. I can appreciate anyone's views on different techniques in fishing, but state the only legal way to change the law is through legislation. Their violating the law should just result in their paying the price. I have fished/boated for at least 45 of my 65 years and have yet to wrap one fishing line, weather from a jug, trotline, or idiotic bass fisherman around my propeller. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I apply different standards to boating when jugs are present. But, I do know I have no right to destroy another man's jugs.

Also, I don't think the glow stick requirement was written into your states codes. That is a suggestion from brothers who has responded to this thread.

70 jugs is too many. If you have ever jugged, you would realize you could not keep up with 70 of them... the law may allow it, but I doubt many fishermen would put out that many. My state allows 20 jugs, and seldom do I put out more than 10, although I carry 20 in the boat.

16. Deadline

Deadline New Member

State:
    NC
    I jug fish some and a 25 limit,taged with license number only law would not affect me at all.This is what I do anyway.I set up in coves mainly and while I do not maintain sight.Jugs are checked every 1-2 hours.It is alot of work and I think 25 per BOAT is about max.I use 1 1/2 gallon white jugs and have no problem seeing them at all.I also rod fish while waiting.I have never lost a jug.Tagging with a boat number might be a better idea. My two cents.

17. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Tomahawk does that group have a e mail address or some way to get in contact with them about collecting jugs? I fish some not as much as alot of you but I'm on the water with the family alot . I have collected alot of jugs with fish on them and have just thrown them away after releasing the fish. I would love to start keepimg them and give them to someone that might get us some help on this.

18. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    we jug fish. we use 60 jugs. we fish the local high rock, norman frequently. I hope that I never have to catch someone stealing one of my jugs.

and keep in mind that we are doing this legally. and for all the guys that think thats too much, well you just ain't doing it right. we do that with 2 people. when we would run three people we would run 80 jugs. and we would reset them 2 or 3 times before 3 am. don't be mad because we put a bunch of fish in the boat. and don't say it's not fair or this or that. it is rare that we loose a jug, but it does happen. the bottem of the lakes are not perfect, they have hangups everywhere. but we do our part in keep our lakes clean.

take it easy on the juggers out there, some guys aren't bad. we might just need to look at the "bad apples" no matter what they are doing. and they aren't really that many of us out there anymore.

19. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc

apperantly you don't know what your doing while juggin......... it sounds like we are talking about you if you can't keep up with 20. poor fisherman if you can't keep up with 20 :wink:

20. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The main problem i got with jugs is thier a hazard at night. So far this year I've run over a bunch and Iam getting tired of it. Since they are a hazard they need to be marked at night, with glowsticks or something fisherman and boaters can see.