Proposed fix for asian carp

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Rat, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Nope, this ain't a joke. Found it in several online newspapers. I've never tried one, but I've heard they actually taste pretty good.
    Rat

By Matt Adrian
    The Southern Springfield Bureau
    SPRINGFIELD -Asian carp clogging Illinois rivers could be used to feed inmates and the starving under a proposal being championed by one state lawmaker.
    State Sen. Mike Jacobs called on his fellow lawmakers last week to earmark $750,000 in state funds to market the voracious, non-native species that can grow up to 100 pounds and crowd out other fish.
    "At the end of the day, I think this is going to be a way for us to turn a really terrible problem into a really positive solution," he said.
    The money, which could be included in the state's next budget plan, would be used to help companies reduce the population of the nuisance fish. Once harvested, the fish could be transformed into plant fertilizer or used to provide a cheap food source for prisoners and the poor worldwide.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    That makes me wonder how they propose that harvest and how it will affect other species......Although they are a problem.....kinda sounds like a hidden agenda to me.:0a10:

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Great plan if ya ask me!!

4. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I agree with Itch2Scratch. Sounds kinda "fishy". Keep us updated on this, if they go about this harvest the wrong way it could drastically affect the other species.

Could you pm me with some links to this story?

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    If the state is gonna purge them and ONLY the carp then yeah, however, if they are going to hire it done and those people use it a chance to harvest other species also..ie Flats and blues as well as other marketable fish...not good. IMHO

6. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    There's a company in Thomson Illinois that currently processes about 2 million pounds of asian carp a year for human consumption. The guy proposing this bill wants the money to go to this company to help in removing the fish, and also possibly purchase the fish from the company to feed inmates in the state's prisons. I couldn't find anything saying how they were to be removed or are currently being removed, but I would guess by netting. I also don't know if this company processes other types of fish besides asian carp, like catfish.

Ksutroubleii, PM sent with links
    Rat

7. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    there is a catch to that , they want to bild a $700,000 plant to process the carp into like a salmon patty (carp patty)

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Keep us posted please

9. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    do you think they are realy going to sort out all the fish Ido not think they will

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The only reason we have people starving to death in this world is because there is no profit in stoping it. It's sad but true, thats the world we live in. If there was profit there would be no hungry people in 48 hours.

11. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois

Couldn't agree more brother.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    netting these would cause harm to other species. im not sure of that. if you have seen the illinois river lately near peoria you would dissagree. these are thicker tha shad schools. they are destroying that river fast. fishing is suffering.

my buddies grandpa had a fish fry a while back and the asain carp was gone faster than the catfish. he said they are great eating.

this fella in hudson nets. them. now here there isn't a fear of blues being netted. they are not in that river up here. and these asian carp scool just under the surface. not on the bottom like most carp and catfish.

seriously. there needs to be something done or the future on the river and possibly the great lakes and the mississippi are doomed.

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Rat I seen that also. I also read in the paper that they figure 75% of the fish population in the ILL river is the asain carp. If they dont do something soon it will be doomed. I say go for it.

On the guy that processes the carp now. I read an article about it last year. The only fish he pocesses are the asain carp

14. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the best way to catch asian carp is to pull a small boat behind your boat that way you double your chances to have one jump in your boat

15. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the last two articles mention browning, IL this is about 3 miles away from where we have our hunting club on the IL river where I go to fish it at too, and there are a lot of those Asians in that part of the river, I am glad that they have found some commercial use for them, even a small dent in the population is a dent

16. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    the guy that is lookin into processing these things is far greater than all of our voices.. the problem is so big in the populations, that something grand needs to be done... if there is no market for these carp, commercial fisherman aint gonna chase em around to get 10cents a pound on them...

commercial fisherman targeting these things are the only way to do somehting about the population... one or two that the average solo fisherman take out is like wiping yourself with a q-tip.

btw, the co. looking into doing this does far more than carp. they are a wholesaler of all commercial fish on rivers like regular carp, sturgeon, buffalo, perch or drum, ... actually ship that stuff from coast to coast into oriental population areas and then some, but still despite the amount of fish being sold, the asian carp are a smaller percentage of this whole..

i applaud the guys trying to make a market out of a problem... don't say anything bad about them... they make a hard earned living like you and me.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have always said that if feeding the starving people in the world had profit in it there would be no hungry people tomorrow. It's just simple. People say there's good in everyone, that could be but I believe what I see and when I look around the world I see we are bad people. We treat our own really bad and it's all because we use money. The reason to live should be to advance the mind not to collect money.
    There should be no reason for anyone to be hungry.
    There should be no reason for anyone to be homeless.
    There should be no reason for anyone to need anything.
    The reason these things happen is because some people have a need to feel they are better that other.

Collect these fish, feed the hungry, use the profit to house the homeless.