Proposed Changes You Should Know About

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by raybait1, Feb 22, 2009.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Alligator Gar — Statewide
    Change harvest regulations for alligator gar from no length or daily bag limits to a one fish per day bag limit. Daily bag limit would apply to both recreational and commercial fishing.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20090122d

What are these guys thinking?

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    these are the same guys proposing legalizing hunting from helicopters. the city people are trying to take over how you live your country life. people that live in the city are just discovering the outdoors. they don't want the people that have taken care of it to have any say in it. they have no clue how anything works, unless they see it on their TV or computer. they really believe that everything on TV is the truth.

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I asked the game warden why they were proposing this since there is no explanation on the TPWD site. He said that biologists studying gar have discovered that they are endangered. What a crock!

tufffish, I have to agree with you about the city people.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Alligator gar are actually threatened,not endangered yet. What most people see are short nose,needle nose,and spotted gar. Alligator gar are slowly disappearing around here. Have you ever seen what some people do with them when they catch them? Throw them in the rocks. Or these bowfishing guides that kill 50 per trip,only to throw them away. Don't get me wrong,I love bowfishing. Getting better every trip. But,I don't shoot things I don't eat,or that I can't give away. Do some research guys. You'll see what I mean.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think for just a minute as to how most gar are caught by rod and reel fishermen. Isn't it the nylon rope jig? If so, are you going to put your fingers near all those teeth just to practice CPR. I don't think so. Once a gar is harvested by a nylon jig, or by bow fishermen, its over for that gar. Sayronora. Good Bye. Lets all sing Amazing Grace. The fish is dead, but we can go on to the next one. Eventually, they will all be dead. In the 1870's they never thought the buffalo would disappear.

6. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Mo, the biologists are bound to be doing their tests in your area. I understand the gar may need protection in some areas. I can tell you just from what I catch they are not in danger here. A "statewide" change could end up hurting my area. Baitfish are scarce enough already.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Raybait,I understand different areas aren't alike. But,if you do some homework,you will find this. The #1 food found in a gator gars gut is....channel cats. After that it's a mix of crappie and sunfish. Shad fall way down on the list. If ysll have a bait problem,it may not be the gar. What lake are you referring to?

8. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
  9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Raybait,that is the way to start an arguement. I have already commented on the proposed changes. I wasn't questioning your opinion either. I was simply stating info. Most people have no idea about gar. They are regarded as trash fish. When in reality,if it weren't for gar,we could have some serious problems. However,I am still intereted,what lake do youfish that has a gar problem? I am always looking for new waters to bowfish. Then,I could help you with the gar problems.

10. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Assuming im uneducated on the subject and saying do some reserch and do your homework I felt insulted. If I was wrong Im sorry. I Fish the lower Trinity River, from Liberty down to the coast. Youre more than welcome to come way down here and shoot your "one gar".

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I never assumed either of those things. Just,some people don't know the real deal with gar. But,I would be happy to come kill a few. Would my boat make it is the ??? It's a 1996 Tracker Pro Team 18'. 60hp mercury. I've never river fished for gar,is it different from lakes? Sorry if you felt insulted in any way. It wasn't my intent. We are all brothers here.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I like to fish for gar, i see very few aligator gar but a lot of needle nose in my area. I read an article several months ago linked to TPW website, the study in that article was stating that COMMERCIAL fishing was what was hurting the aligator gar population. I think that after this law has been around for like 10 yrs they will pull it. Then maybe they will just restrict the commercial guys instead of everyone.

13. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I've only seen one wild aligator gar, the ones at Bass Pro and Cabelas don't count. My buddy and i ditched school one day went fishing off the dam and threw out some steel cable with a big shark hook 14-15/0 with a piece of rotten chicken and pulled her in after about an hour of waitin, we werent going to eat it but one of us had to get the hook out, and since he was cajun/irish and I was a Pollack, I had the opportunity to remove said hook. and went on to make more little gars. but commercial use I have eaten gar pretty good eats holds up on the grill pretty good, but what commercial use is there, roe?

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    The commercial use is the bowfishing guides that take people out & shoot em all night or all day, fill the boat & show off their " catch ", these gator gars are anywhere from 5 to 8 ft, that is an old gar,. dont know what they do with em, some clean em & eat em, but i would be willing to bet most dont...then some people just throw them on the bank to rot , i agree they are abundant in some places, but if the biologists are studying them & want to put slot limits or just plain limit the harvest then they are probably getting thinned out,, maybe we ought to send them up north where they have the flying carp problems & see if the gars can thin them out.....

15. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    I don't know where you guys fish but the sabine river in east texas is over run with gar. It has been for a long time. Personally i fish with perch and that is one of the main food sources for them. I personally hate gar and i would just as soon kill everyone of em. As for being threatened, maybe in some places but they don't have any predators other than us. I have personally seen alligator gar in excess of 10ft. on the regular. they are not threatened in the rivers in MY OPINION. And also MY OPINION is that a regulation on them wuold severely hurt catfishing in texas rivers which is where i mainly fish. This is all My OPINION and not meant to stril anything up any more. Motard1 if ya want to go bow fishin I can tell ya where they put boats a whole lot bigger than yours in the river on a cement boat ramp. just holler at me.