Proposed changes for 2006 in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishcentral, Dec 19, 2005.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I posted these last year and got some feedback so I though I would post them again this year and see your thoughts. There's really not much this year on fishing but a couple of hunting changes. Allowing blackpower for a additional week which would be cool and then limiting the bucks harvested from three to two. I really don't know how feel about making the change to only two bucks. I know this will help in the size and quality of bucks taken but I guess I hate the thought of sitting in a tree and seeing a monster buck come by and I've already taken two already for the year. I've never taken more than two bucks anyway in a year so I guess I don't have a problem with it. I also like they will allow up to 6 deer intead of 4 taken with bow. Now with increased harvest on bow and longer mussleloader season more time in the woods to find that big buck. I also REALLY REALLY like the idea of being able to check deer by phone or computer as a option. I know Missouri started doing this year. I don't know how many times we have tried to check in a deer at night only to find the placed closed and others too far away.

Wildlife Department schedules public hearings

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation will hold a series of public hearings Jan. 9-10 to gather input on a broad slate of proposed hunting and fishing regulations changes.

Most notable among the 42 proposed changes are extending the deer muzzleloader season to 16 days and reducing the total annual buck harvest from three to two.

“We are always looking for ways to provide more opportunities for the sportsmen of the state, while at the same time doing the best job possible in providing for healthy wildlife populations,” said Mike Shaw, wildlife research supervisor for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. “Lengthening the muzzleloader season will give hunters an extra week in the woods to pursue Oklahoma’s most popular big game animal.”

A second proposal would reduce the number of bucks that a hunter may harvest annually from three to two.

“We hope this proposed regulation will remind hunters that they are not just strict consumers of wildlife, they are truly wildlife managers. Every time a hunter pulls the trigger, he or she is making a management decision that will have an impact on the deer herd,” Shaw said.

According to Alan Peoples, chief of wildlife for the Department, the two proposals will be presented as a package.

“We believe these two proposals will benefit both hunters and the deer, but we don’t want to move forward on one change without moving ahead on both,” Peoples said.

Regulation changes can originate from a number of sources, including Department field staff, citizens and conservation groups. After being considered by a review committee, recommendations are scheduled for public hearings, which allow citizens to voice their opinions on the proposed changes. These public hearings constitute the public input phase of the process. The recommendations and public comments are then submitted to the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission, which can accept, amend or reject the recommendations. Hunting regulations changes would take effect in the Fall of 2006 and the fishing regulation changes would take effect Jan. 1, 2007

Other notable proposed regulation changes include:

Creating a new, youth-only spring turkey season on the weekend prior to opening day of the statewide turkey season.

Removing the regulation that limits hunters to one tom per day in the spring season.

Increase raccoon harvest limits from six to 10 daily.

Allowing limited harvest of red fox, no more than two per year.

Including Texas County (only west of State Highway 136) in the landowner and controlled pronghorn antelope hunts.

Reducing hunter education class hours from 10 to eight.

Also included in the proposed changes are regulations affecting striped bass hybrid and white bass limits on Sooner Lake and walleye, sauger and saugeye size limits on Murray and Foss lakes.

For a complete list of the proposed regulations click here.

Those who would like to provide input about the proposed changes, but are unable to attend one of the scheduled hearings, may e-mail their comments through the Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com or by mailing comments to: Attn: Proposed hunting and fishing regulation changes-ODWC, P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. All comments are weighted equally whether received in writing or delivered at a meeting. All comments must be received by Jan. 13 at 4:30 p.m.

Following is a list of public hearing dates, times and locations:

Date: January 9, 2006
    Time: 7:00 p.m.
    Ada - Pontotoc County Technology Center - 601 W. 33rd
    Caddo - Durant Fish Hatchery -2021 Caddo Hwy
    Lawton - Lawton Public Library - 410 SW 4th Street
    Okmulgee - East Central Electric Cooperative - 2001 South Wood Drive
    Tahlequah - Indian Capital Vo-Tech - Herb Roselle Seminar Center - 240 Vo-Tech Rd.

Date: January 10, 2006
    Time: 7:00 p.m.
    Altus - Altus Public Library - 421 N. Hudson
    Idabel - Kiamichi Technical Center - Intersection of Hwy 70 and 259 North of Idabel
    Oklahoma City - Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation - 1801 N. Lincoln Blvd.
    Tulsa - Tulsa Technology Center Riverside Campus - Aud. Rm A150 - 801 E. 91st St
    Woodward - Northwest Electric - 2925 Williams Ave.

-30-

2. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    OKLAHOMA DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION

2006 PUBLIC HEARING AGENDA

1. Size limits on fish

Reduce size limit on walleye at Lake Murray from 18 inches to 14 inches and reduce size limit on walleye and saugeye at Foss Lake from 16 inches to 14 inches.

2. Bag limits on fish

Include Sooner Lake with lakes having a combined limit of twenty (20) striped bass hybrids and/or white bass of which only

five (5) may be twenty (20) inches or longer. This rule applies to the lake only, not the discharge area.

3. Commercial Shad Harvest (License and fee requirements)

Remove language that duplicates statute regarding fees.

4. Commercial Mussel Harvest

Require that any commercial mussel harvester must notify the local game warden of when and where they are going to harvest shells before the harvester goes to the water. This rule change would also require that mussel buyers purchase mussels based on the fair market value of the shells at the time of purchase.

5. List of declared noxious aquatic plant species

Change "Prohibited Species List" to include all Salvinia species; move alligatorweed from the "Species to Watch List" to

the "Prohibited Species List" and add plants of the same genera to the list.

6. Hunter Education

Reduce hunter education class hours from ten to eight hours; allow for "test only" certification for hunters needing a certificate

for out of state hunts but exempt in Oklahoma.

7. Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land

To clarify that the Department will only be enforcing regulations on COE nonlicensed property that pertain to hunting.

8. Elk and Antelope

To include elk and antelope seasons in the blaze orange requirements, final destination and transfer.

9. Spring Turkey Season

Remove the prohibition limiting hunters to 1 tom per day.

10. Wild Turkey - Spring Youth Season; dates, limits and open areas

Create a new "youth only" (under 18 yrs old) spring turkey season, weekend prior to regular season. One (1) tom limit which

counts towards 3 tom spring limit.

11. Wild turkey - general provisions

Allow recorded calls when turkey hunting.

12. Deer Primitive Season

Lengthen the muzzleloader season by adding an additional seven days to the beginning of the season.

Deer Archery

Increase the bag limit for archers from four (4) deer to six (6) deer and make the January 1 to January 15 archery season either sex.

Deer - general provisions

Reduce the number of antlered deer that a hunter may harvest annually from three (3) to two (2).

13. Deer-Youth Gun Season

Make the age requirement ‘under 18 years old’ which would be consistent with the new youth turkey season.

14. Furbearer

Allow the sale of skinned carcasses for legal furbearers. Allow limited harvest of red fox, no more than 2 per season, and

include red fox in the aggregate limit. Increase the raccoon limit from 6 to 10 daily and from 30 to 40 annually.

15. Beaver River WMA; Canton WMA; Cooper WMA; Dewey County WMA; Fort Supply WMA; Major County WMA; Optima WMA; Rita Blanca WMA; Schultz WMA

To address the proposed 16 day primitive season, change deer primitive firearms season and bag limit to same as statewide season dates except closed the last 7 days of deer primitive season - one (1) deer either sex.

16. Camp Gruber Maneuver Training Center (CGMTC) and Cherokee PHA

Open the second weekend of the statewide muzzleloading season to antlerless hunting.

17. Candy WMA

Remove Candy WMA. This COE property was sold and is no longer a Wildlife Management Area.

18. Fort Cobb WMA

Change ‘steel shot only’ to ‘federally approved nontoxic shot only’ for crow. Allow archery equipment during deer gun

season.

19. Hackberry Flat WRP

Close waterfowl hunting at 1:00 p.m. daily.

20. Keystone WMA

Close to antlerless hunting during the deer gun season.

21. Lexington WMA

To address the proposed 16 day primitive season, change deer primitive firearms season and bag limit to same as statewide

season dates except closed the last 7 days - Buck only.

22. Osage WMA - Western Wall Primitive Area

Open deer gun to controlled hunts. Change name to Osage WMA-Western Wall Unit. Open to deer archery hunting after the

first nine days of deer gun.

23. Controlled Hunts Applications and instructions

Remove the once in a lifetime restriction from landowner antelope permits and make the minimum age restriction for McAAP

the same as Department areas (14 years instead of 18 years).

24. Controlled antelope hunt application and instructions

Delete duplicate antelope language. Covered under controlled hunt section already.

25. Cimarron County landowner permits

Include Texas County (west of Highway 136) to the landowner and controlled antelope hunts, clarifies language and removes landowner permits from once in a lifetime restriction.

26. General Antelope Regulation

To open more antelope check stations. Increase bag limit of antelope to two (no more than 1 buck). Landowners, operators,

or immediate family are exempt from carrying written permission if they are hunting on their own property. Include antelope

hunters under the fluorescent orange requirements.

27. Commercial Hunt Areas

This rule would exempt private lands that have been enclosed by a game-proof "high fence" for 10 years from having to tear

down a portion of the fence and conduct a drive to eliminate native wildlife before becoming eligible for a commercial hunting

license. It also exempts such properties from a three year waiting period before harvesting untagged animals within the

enclosure.

28. Import/Export Permits - Application and Fees

Align annual reporting with license expiration (June 30). Also, delete redundant language already covered in Title 29.

29. Scientific Collectors Permit

Housekeeping - typo corrections.

30. Vehicles

Make the rules for ATV use on Ouachita, Black Kettle and Rita Blanca WMA’s the same as US Forest Services Rules.

31. Mineral Exploration and Production

Update rules to meet current oil and gas policy and fees charges for oil and gas activity on department owned/managed lands.

Information Items:

Request from Cushing Lake Duck Hunters Association to expand the boundary of Zone 1 to include Cushing Lake.

To offer optional checking of deer and turkey via phone or computer by fall 2006, again in 2007, and by fall of 2008 remove physical check stations and go strictly to phone or computer checking.

hose who would like to provide input about the proposed changes, but are unable to attend one of the scheduled hearings, may e-mail their comments through the Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com or by mailing comments to: Attn: Proposed hunting and fishing regulation changes-ODWC, P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. All comments are weighted equally whether received in writing or delivered at a meeting. All comments must be received by Jan. 13 at 4:30 p.m.
    e detailed proposed changes

3. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I guess we have no hunters on the board here in Oklahoma.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris, I very RARELY hunt.

When I do, I go out to family property near Enid

5. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    i tell ya thats a lot of changes for one year. I think they need to offer alot more hunter ed. classes and not just around okc and tulsa areas. It is hard to get into a class when it is almost 2 hrs away and 2 days long. Not to mention the limited number of seats.

6. okie_kat

okie_kat New Member

State:
    Eufaula, Ok
    Ray if you can get enough people in grove to sign up they would probably send someone to hold class. contact the hunter ed folks at OKC or email them thru the web site.

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Ray,

You might also check around in Grove or Miami for a vo tech school. Ours here in B-ville has hunter ed classes several times a year.

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    thanks for the tip chris. We have the vo-tech in afton and we also have a sat. campus of neo i may have to check them out.

9. fishinbuddy

fishinbuddy New Member

Man they are changin a lot for one year. I am reading up of the new hunting regulations and none really seem to affect me. I am trying to get into coyote huntin if I can find a place in central oklahoma. Maybe next season I will get to do a little deer huntin to. But for now I just need to find some land that I can get permission to coyote hunt on. Thanks for the heads up on the regulation changes.

Justin