Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Proposed ban

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy52 
#1 ·
With the proposed ban of 223/556 M855 ammo it's getting hard finding any 223/556 ammo and bullets.
Panic buyers aren't reading all of the articles.

#3 ·
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

The ruling on the 855mil 62gr isn't the only BS the ATF is pulling. I have two Sigtac braces that came with letters from the ATF saying they were alright to use and that ruling was only a year ago, now they've done a 180 and say they are not alright to use. Seems to me like they're trying to entrap anyone owning a AR pistol that uses a Sigtac brace.

#6 ·
I haven't gotten all the info but I think this is more about ar-15 pistol then rifles. The armor piercing ruling is from 1986 and is about the number of layers a pistol bullet will penetrate standard LEO body armor. Now with proliferation AR pistol the lines are being blurred and it would appear that the current administration and the ATF are taking advantage of it. If memory severs me correctly the gun grabbers tried a carte blanche, back door, BS ruling that would cover "All" bullets (not just pistol) that would penetrate a certain layer of body armor hoping that the general public wasn't informed enough to realize that all center fire rifle ammo would do that........so it would appear it's a back to the future kind of thing and they're going to try it again.

#8 ·
I was unaware that someone had a commercially produced SKS pistols, AKs are pretty common though. I've seen some SKS mods for pistols but you run the risk of some pretty serious legal BS if you do that. All of this stems from the big cop killer Teflon bullet hype of the mid 80s which is really a non-reality and gun grabbers dream come true.

G
#9 ·
Every article or post on various internet forums I have read have nearly the same title "Ban on AR15 ammo" what kind of crap is that? Now every Tom, Dick and operator wanna be who owns a black gun are running around buying up all the 223 and 5.56 they can grab, because they are to absorbed in the panic to read past the first couple sentences in any article they have seen...then places like cheaper than dirt are jacking up their price on green tip to a $1 plus a round. The only reason there has been any ammo shortage is because people can't control themselves. Ammo manufactures tool up for specific ammo for short periods of time..so if they are making 223 and 5.56, they wont be making other common rounds like 22lr and 9mm...now that everyone is clearing the shelves of 223 and 5.56, they ammo manufactures will have to focus on producing enough of that to keep consumers happy...which means that other rounds will have to take a back seat to production...effectively making them hard to find. If everyone would chill out and let the supplies replenish, the ammo manufactures will be able to catch up, there will be plenty of everything on the shelves and prices will drop back down to normal.

#10 ·
It's the drama, fear is a powerful motivator. unfortunately fear without intelligence is what cause's animals to run off the edge of a cliff when spooked. So as you have said in a manner of words........some humans are not a whole lot smarter.......LOL.

#11 ·
I get email notice from a lot of online vendors. From one before the panic 223/556 ammo was 0.30 to 0.36 each depending on the bulk. Their notice this morning shows ammo starting at 0.49 and up.
I use to look at the sales ads from CTD, but never ordered. Their 22lr price gouge didn't help any at all. I received a retirement Christmas gift from them that didn't work. I sent emails trying to replace it. Not without a customer number and order number. Now the price jack of all 223/556 ammo, they will never get an order from me.

My SKS came with the red wood stock. My son cleaned it up and used a walnut gel stain and poly coat to give it a good looking wood grain. Some people wanted a lighter stock, so they went with the plastic ones. Some had folding stocks, pistol grips and other options. Since the long stock isn't used it's now a pistol.

G
#13 ·
I've been seriously considering assembling my first SBR...maybe a suppressed 10.5" 300 black out. But with this crap going on, I don't want to dump a ton of money into something that I won't be able to find ammo components for. I might go ahead and get a multi cal lower,engraved and paper work submitted and pick out a suitable suppressor that can be used on a few different calibers...maybe by the time it's all approved I'll have a better idea of whats gonna happen with ammo. Worst case scenario, I can use the suppressor on the 22s. As it stands now I do not currently own anything in 5.56/223

#14 ·
The proposed ban probably won't have much effect on ACC300 blackout ammo. The ACC Cyclone suppressor would be a good choice for all round application, it could be used .30 cal all the way done to .22lr with the right thread adapters. Getting a lower and having it on hand is a excellent idea and they're really not that expensive.

G
#15 ·
The proposed ban probably won't have much effect on ACC300 blackout ammo. The ACC Cyclone suppressor would be a good choice for all round application, it could be used .30 cal all the way done to .22lr with the right thread adapters. Getting a lower and having it on hand is a excellent idea and they're really not that expensive.
I really don't know much about the 300blk round..other than my friend has a suppressed AR pistol chambered in it and it's the quietest center fire round I've ever heard with a suppressor...loud as hell without one. He deer hunted with it past season and it did well...I figured it would be a nice quiet yote rifle that I could also have fun with it on the range. I guess my only worry is being able to find brass. I've also tossed around the idea of a suppressed 458 socom. All of this is more desire than anything else. And if this new SBS stuff goes through here in Indiana, all the quiet rifle ideas will go rite out the window...cause I've got a strong love for shotguns and I have 3 short barreled shotguns on my list that I will buy, quick fast and in a hurry, once they are made legal in my state. 12"barreled 12ga Remington 870 with a 11" LOP stock? Hellz yeah! Practical? nope....Awesome? YOUBETCHA!

#16 ·
The .300 blackout uses cut down 5.56/223 brass which is readily available if you reload. When using sub-sonic and suppressed the .300 is very quiet I've considered one but I'm just not that impressed with the ballistics of the round it's really a ballistic equivalent of a 30-30 which is fine but I think I'd go the AR-10 route before the .300blk. The .458 socom, .450 bushmaster and .50 Beowulf are just to extreme and expensive for my taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.