Proposed ban of lead sinkers (SB1269)

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Shawn, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You may want to read this... one of our state legislators is suggesting a total ban of lead sinkers. Besides the impact to fishermen, just think of the hassle for all the bait shops and retailers, let alone the enforecement nightmare this would cause to our already strained DNR.

Do a little searching of "health risk lead sinkers" and you can see there are some varying opinions about this. The American Sportfishing Association even has a paper stating there is insufficient evidence to warrant statewide bans.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=76&GA=96&DocTypeId=SB&DocNum=1269&GAID=10&LegID=42210&SpecSess=&Session=

I've already sent e mail to my representative and senator about this... we should all keep a close eye on this one. Below is some of what I wrote...

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it passes, everyones boats will be stocked with concrete blocks. If they pass it, it should be thier responsibility to find a resource to replace it. Not just leave us hanging.

3. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    Current people looking at it:
    1-Senator James F. Clayborne Jr. (D)

District Office:
    Kenneth Hall Regional Office Bldg.
    10 Collinsville Ave.
    East St. Louis, IL 62201
    (618) 875-1212
    (618) 274-3010 FAX
    2-Senator Don Harmon (D)
    District Office:
    6933 W. North Avenue
    Oak Park, IL 60302
    (708) 848-2002
    (708) 848-2022 FAX
    3-Senator Louis S. Viverito (D)
    District Office:
    6215 W. 79th Street
    Suite 1A
    Burbank, IL 60459
    (708) 430-2510
    (708) 430-2610 FAX
    4-Senator Dale A. Righter (R)
    District Office:
    88 Broadway Avenue
    Suite 1
    Mattoon, IL 61938
    (217) 235-6033
    (217) 235-6052 FAX
    5-Senator Kirk W. Dillard (R)
    District Office:
    One South Cass Avenue
    Suite 201
    Westmont, IL 60559
    (630) 969-0990
    (630) 969-1007 FAX

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope you guys do something and make your voices heard.

I live in Ohio and I am sure it's gonna happen here.

If they outlaw lead sinkers I might as well quit fishing.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is sick. I see this is sponsored by a women which probably doesn't understand the concept of fishing are the cost impact this will cause on fishing in this state. Not only do we not have a lead sinker substitution, it would eliminate the sportsman from making his own sinkers. Leave it to Illinois to start crap like this. If the state gets a foot in the door they will eventually close the door.:crazy::sad2::sad2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "I'm an avid fisherman, and frequently use sinkers of a 2 to 6 ounce size to anchor baits on the bottom of rivers due to current. The extremely remote chance a bird could ingest sinkers of this size certainly doesn't warrant the total ban that is proposed."

Just to be clear, what they are proposing applies to sinkers of 1 oz and less. From the text of the bill:

""Lead sinker" means any device that is designed to be attached to fishing line for the purpose of sinking the line, and that contains one ounce of lead or less."

I'm not saying jump for joy at the prospect of a ban on smaller sinkers, but beware that they have already provided an out for the larger ones. Several other states in the northeast have banned lead sinkers under 1/2 oz, but still allow lead sinkers in larger sizes.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've used nonlead sinkers with no problem. People who make their own sinkers don't normally make small ones.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

8. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I've used nonlead sinkers with no problem. People who make their own sinkers don't normally make small ones.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

I make egg sinkers from 1/8 oz. to 3oz. Also don't forget all the jigs and bullets put into the river. Yeah, I think we need to start a letter writing campaign.

9. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I should have added to my post, to allow all sizes of lead sinkers to be used.:roll_eyes:

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I think this is one of those things that gets blown out of proportion by the people that don't fully understand IE: in this case the lady legislator. She hears the word "lead" and automaticly thinks health risks.

But this could end up snowballing if passed. Other states are likely to hop on the bandwagon, too. if I was the legislators, I'd be more worried about cleaning up the water coming from waste water treatment plants, factory's dumping hazardous waste, runoff from industrial business's, etc.

There is alot worse in the waters then a couple lead sinkers.

11. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    Is this a law in your state? :confused2: I know lots of people who make small size lead sinkers!

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I use 1/4oz lead weights and string them together into a line for a no-snag drifting sinker which snakes along rocks and brush on the bottom.... so ya, this would affect me even though mine together weighs 2ozs.

I think it is overrated, but i also never done research or anything to see if it truly is harming anything. Yeah, it is poisonous, but so is half the crap we breath in the air anyways.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's on the way fellas and you wont stop it. New Hampshire, Maine,New York and Minnesota all have bans of specific weights. Great Britain as far back as 1987. Canada has restrictions too. It's not because of fish or humans. It is meant to protect water fowl from eating them. Thats why the smaller sizes. It is just a matter of time till the whole world is affected. As for me, I'm going to start collecting rocks and pouring my own cement! lol :wink:

14. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I re-read the proposed ban and saw the wording about "Lead Sinkers" weighing "one ounce of lead or less..." Leave it to an Ivy League lawyer to create such an ambiguous definition - a 2 oz sinker does contain one ounce or less, right? They should have stated "up to one ounce."

And great point by B. Whupp on stringing multiple 1/4 or 1/2 oz sinkers together to make slinky weights. Those would be illegal.

Bottom line, there is mixed outcomes in the research on this topic. Here's the Amercan Sportfishing Association's take...
    http://www.asafishing.org/asa/images/government/asa_lead_position.pdf

One last comment - this is only the start. If this one flies, a ban on pouring your own sinkers may come next, or a ban of all sinker weights.

Shawn

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It is but a matter of time, but truth of the matter is, it would be a misdemeanor offense and how the hell would they police this? They are so undermanned and short staffed as it is.... a law is only as good as it can be enforced. Until it is enforced, I plan on sticking to my ways. Waterfowl wont be getting my lead as it will be about 10 foot under water should I lose it. :smile2:

Next step, hooks will have to be blunt to avoid hurting any species not targeted at fish... like humans. My fingers will never be the same.

16. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    $6.70 for 5 1/8oz lead free jigs:eek:oooh: Give me lead, I'm going fishin.:wink:

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Is it really that much? The hell with that... I am not selling my car and giving away Aaron's first born for lead-free fishing hooks. They make the change, I'd hope they would find a better (cheaper) alternative than what they currently have.

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Well, now I know what I will be spending your child support checks on!:smile2::wink:

19. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Rutt Row!! Does Brian have a future bait knife review for us Aaron?:smile2:

20. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL