Property taxes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    They just raised the property taxes here and then reappraised the properties. Stuck it to everyone twice. I bought my house one year ago and this year the tax man valued it at 26% more than I paid for it. Now I know I got a good deal, but that's just a little high.

I called and said I wanted to appeal. I told the guy that if he though it was worth that, then he could buy it at his price and I would even throw in the furniture and everything else in it. I gave him a list of some comparable properties that I looked up in a real estate book that are currently for sale at far less than my apprasial and he said he would do some checking. He called back today and said he might have been just a little high on his appraisal, He lowered it by $20,000.00. I guess it paid to raise a little hell.

Now in today's paper, they are talking about raising property taxes again.

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Grumpy,it's like everything else they bend you over and never mind I can't say it on here.I'm glad you got it lowered though...

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Maybe I should try that as well. My current apprasial is is 23,000 more than what I payed for the house 2 years ago. If they could guarantee I could get that should I ever decide to sell, no problem. But, these apprasials are made in the blind, based off current property sales of like homes in your area. I think that if you should sell your home at less than apprasied for taxes, you should be refunded the difference, just like federal tax.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have been down that road too.

My property taxes $6,800.00 per year!!

Welcome to New Jersey.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    What really PO'd me is that they never even came out and looked at the house. We poured a concrete pad out back right after we bought it and if they had come out, the concrete would have been included on the property report and taxed too.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My house is not that big, about 2300 square feet. Our property taxes are insane in New Jersey, some of the highest in the nation! We are gettin ripped bad.