Property tax/nature preserve

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Feb 20, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anybody know anything about the state allowing property owners to fence your property off for a nature preserve allowing the owner to not have to pay property tax on that piece of property? My property tax is nearly ten grand a year and I heard something about this somewhere before.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im not sure about the property tax but I know there are all kinds of programs for people that own over a certain amount of acres 10-40 plus or so that manage them for wldlife, the state will give you money and you can still hunt them as long as there managed. I would start googling or start calling outdoor and state agencies.

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I know someone who done that not far from here. If you'll send me a pm & some information I'll see if I can get him to contact you. He understands the legal issues more than I do!

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Would suck if the property is rescinded all the back taxes and junk would kill someone.If I owned some forest I would go for it sounds like a good solid plan

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah I know.... I Thought about that too, Be my luck after 9 years lol at 10k a year it'd put a serious hole in my pocket

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ahh just fill that hole with water, we'll fish it...:smile2::smile2:

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pocket fishing is Illegal in Indiana...

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I would look into it with the way things are going it will save you more money that can be geared towards fishing.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, I am definately going to do everything I can to gitter done- I've already figured I can save 6k maybe 7.5k with the property That qualifies.... I'm done giving my money away... especially when most goes to these horrible public schools around here. lol

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I see a future trip to Bass Pro in the future:smile2:

12. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    having any luck on your property tax thing?

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I've a couple possibilities one (1) is a lifetime deal where I can never build any structures and tax is zero for life- there's no backing out of that deal EVER.

*OR* 2- a ten year deal where (I believe) tax is a dollar an acre and if you want to back out- you can.... if you pay back property tax and penalties.... and they can back out too, if you break a rule.

I'm seriously considering #1 I'm trying to make an appointment with the guy, but keep missing him everytime I've had a chance to call him. DP

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    MMmm.. Consider resale. #1 might hurt you on that. But if you didn't buy for an investment, and you don't reckon you ever will need to sell to cover the note, I'd say it is worth a good close look-see.

Perhaps exclude any piece you may want to build on in the future. (dream house, barn, etc.) And carefully check the regs on habitat improvement. (ponds, food plots, cutting trees, etc)

If it all passes your muster, go for it. America has enough subdivisions and malls all ready.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your right... there can be serious regret to the lifetime gig for sure.

IF I do this, I would survey a couple acres or so to keep out of the deal.

lol, and while it LOWERsS my props value. it'll increases my snooty neighbors.... and probably w/o a tax increase to them.

I do believe hunting a "stick" for "stick" timbering, mowing, dirtbike etc is allowed on the lifetime deal.... just no structures. But I'm not certain and still dumb on the subject at the moment..... I'll be learning.

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Have you looked into CRP? Probably not as lucrative but the government will basically pay you some much an acre for taking land out of production (for farmers) or for managing for wildlife. It's been several years since I've had any involvement with CRP, but you would need to contact your local NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) office to get some details.

Just thought you might be interested in another option.

17. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats a good idea